Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 11:23 AM
    Can my baby sister come to my party?
    My mom just had a baby in Florida (since she recently moved there). I am having a very important party that I want my mom, my 1 and a half year old sister, and the new baby to come to. The party will be on the 18th of this month in New York. I was wondering is it possible for the baby to travel? She will be 10 days old... I'm not sure if they can either take a plane or drive from Florida. My mom doesn't really want to drive for 24 hours with 2 babies in the car so... I can understand if they can't come. But would the baby be allowed on a plane? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    TheNatureGirl
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

May 15, 2014, 12:24 PM
    Looking at Air Canada's website, because that is the air line I am familiar with, they say that children as young as 7 days can travel by air. So it is possible for her to fly out if she wants to.

There are other risks for her as well depending on the birth style, was it vaginal or C-Section? As well as just the shear effort of travelling with a toddler and a new born. I would expect her not to show up and I wouldn't blame her for not showing up. It is safe but there are many more variables that might make taking the trip unfavourable.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 15, 2014, 12:51 PM
    When I flew with new babies, I was told to allow them to nurse or drink from a baby bottle during takeoff and landing to alleviate pressure buildup in theit ears and Eustachian tubes.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 15, 2014, 03:35 PM
    Other things to consider:

* baby's immune system is still immature so it could be easier for her to become ill if exposed to a sick passenger.

* mom is still recovering from birth and may find it uncomfortable to sit for extended periods... the lack of mobility poses potential health concerns as well.

* where will the babies sit? Would they have their own seats with car seats... both could not be on mom's lap.

* would someone be going with her to help with the babies?

* is mom breastfeeding? If so, is it going well?

* how is mom's overall postpartum recovery going?

Certainly your mom should speak to her doctor and to your sister's pediatrician for recommendations on when they feel it would be okay to travel. If it turns out that travel just yet is not recommended, would an option such as Skype be available so that they could participate in some way at your party?
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 04:41 PM
    Well, DoulaLC, Izabella (the small baby) can sit on her lap while Olivia (the older one) can sit in her own seat since she has done it before. I hope that their dad, my step dad, can come too for extra support. My mom is a pretty strong woman since she is an ex-officer. I think she is pretty much feeling better. I was considering to get internet so that I can Skype them. Thank you for the response,
    TheNatureGirl
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2014, 05:01 PM
    I have two children, I had a vaginal birth, no drugs, with both children. You couldn't have paid me to go on an airplane with my 10 day old infant either time, even if someone died in Germany, my homeland and where all my mothers family lives. There would have been no way that I'd do that.

My son was born 10 days before my birthday. On my birthday my husband took me out to dinner. My son was 10 days old at the time. It was hell. He woke up in the middle of dinner, I had to nurse him. By the time I was done nursing him, my dinner was cold. By the end of it I thanked my husband for trying to make my birthday special, but really, it was the worst birthday ever. I would have preferred ordering a pizza at home, so I could relax, and not stress about taking a newborn out for even a few hours.

At 10 days old the infant drains you of everything you have. You're up every 2-3 hours nursing, or giving a bottle, if you're lucky (my daughter was up every hour for an hour). You're exhausted, even if you have help. With all of that I'm supposed to get on a plane with a toddler and a newborn, just because you're having a party and want me to be there? Seriously? Do you care about your mom at all?

Are you getting married? Are you dying? What's this party about? Because really, unless you're getting married, or you're dying, I don't see why a mother of a 10 day old infant should succumb to your whims. I really don't.

The party may be important to you, but after reading your post, it's clear that it's all about you, and what you want, and you really don't have any idea what it takes to be a mom to a toddler and a newborn. You're not taking your mom into consideration at all, it's all about you and what you want.

Sadly the only way you'll understand is when you have a child yourself. Then you'll get it.

For now, I suggest that you cut your mom some slack. She just gave birth. Unless you're getting married, or dying, she doesn't need to stress herself and her babies out anymore than she's already stressed out. Let her stay home and care for her babies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sister what's to have a baby for me. [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Florida. Me and my boyfriend want to have kids together but we both have medical problems that is passed can cause a horrbile life for a child or death for the child. We have talked to the family about it and my sister decided that her and her husband would like to have a baby for us. We...

My sister in law is having a baby and wants to just sign the baby over to me [ 5 Answers ]

What do I need to do? What papers do I need to get? And how much is it going to cost? I live in Arizona and I do not know what to do I don't want the child to go to cps and don't want the child to have to go through the system

I am trying to adopt my baby sister. [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to be able to adopt my sister. She is 1 and she has been in DHS custody ever since she was born. I had just learned about her in Feb. of this year and I actually learned that she was my sister in Sept. I have never gotten to know her. We live in different states. She has gone up...

Has the Democratic Party always been the cry-baby Party? [ 21 Answers ]

This is an honest question and I’m looking for an honest answer. Since I can remember Democrats talk about what a lousy country this is and constantly complain about the “unfairness” of life, the “evils” of big business, the never-shrinking scourge of racism and homophobia, and the inevitable...

Coming up Baby Party [ 23 Answers ]

Hello, My sister wants us to come to the celebration of their new twins (girls). However, my wife and my two sisters had a falling out a few years ago and haven't really spoken much since. My sister wants us to come see the twins. This would the first time I've seen them. My sister wants...

View more questions Search