Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smcolley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 10:19 AM
    Part time verses full time hours
    If I work 17 weeks per year @ 24 hrs per week and the balance of the year at 40 hrs. or more per week, am I classified as a "part time employee or full time employee"?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 15, 2014, 01:34 PM
    Full time
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2014, 03:51 PM
    Its not that simple. If your schedule was changed to full time, then at that time your classification should have changed. If, however, your schedule wasn't changed, but they had extra work for you beyond your schedule, they might still classify you as part time.

Why is this important?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 16, 2014, 07:32 AM
    For purposes of the Affordable Care Act ("the ACA," also known as "Obamacare") anyone scheduled to work an average of 30 hours per week is considered full-time, and so is covered by the employee mandate. For other purposes "full time" employment does not have a standard definition but rather is defined by the company, and is typcally spelled out in the employee's handbook. For most companies (not all) anyone scheduled to work at least 32 hours/week is considered full-time, which may qualify them for full-time benefits such as vacation accrual and retirement benefits. So talk to your HR department to see how they define your employment given your odd schedule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to cut working hours from full time to part time [ 6 Answers ]

My company that I have worked for for nearly 20 years has been changing peoples hours with out notice by making them re-apply for other hours that are all part time 20hours or less . So if you had a job with 38 hours they would be no longer and you would have to apply for two 20 hour jobs with no...

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Am I a full-time resident of West Virginia or part-time? [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in WV until October 9th. It was then that I sold my home and moved to PA. I worked in WV until August 24th and started a job in PA on August 26th. Between August 26th and October 9th I was commuting from WV to PA and had WV taxes taken out of my paycheck in PA. On October 9th I changed my...

View more questions Search