Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thebigdiver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2014, 05:35 PM
    Removing old grout from the edges of OLD tiles
    I am repairing our old tile shower. The tiles are just slightly larger than today's 4 1/4 standard so I'm re-using the tile but I have the grout on the edge problem. Any ideas on how to remove the grout from the edges so I can use spacers and get a clean straight line look when I re-install them?

Thanks for any ideas as I'd like to get the bathroom back together. It was a partial removal since most of the shower tiles were firmly attached to the cement board.

Thanks
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 12, 2014, 05:38 PM
    Just to be clear, the old tiles have been removed? They're no longer on the wall?

My husband and I once helped demo a tile store, with many displays. The tile in the displays was adhered to the wall, and grouted. Removal was simple, but afterwards we ended up with tile that had grout, mastik, and drywall attached.

Simply soaking the tile in warm water for a day or two, replacing the water when it became cold with more warm water, removed everything. The mastik and drywall required a bit of scraping in between soaks, and it was a lot of work, but when finished, we ended up with tile that looked brand new, ready to install again.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2014, 05:45 PM
    Can I safely assume you mean ceramic tile with hard grout? If so soaking will not help this kind of grout, it is unlike mastic, it is cementacious. You can use a tile nipper or tile saw to break and cut off the grout. Tile Saws by QEP - Masonry Saws by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies A tile saw can be rented or cheap one go for about $50

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing tiles and grout from Bathroom wall [ 5 Answers ]

I have tile that is on the wall behind my bathroom sink. I would like to remove it and paint the wall. How do I get the old dried grout off the wall?

Removing grout and tiles from drywall [ 1 Answers ]

Made a wall mural using colored grout and pieces of tile. Would like to remove it but it won't come off. I'm thinking it would be easier to cut it out and piece in with new drywall?

Do you damage granite floor tiles when removing grout [ 3 Answers ]

I'm hearing differing opinions. I purchased granite tiles from home depot and had them to install them. First, the grout are a cloudy whit instead of the black they are supposed to be. Is this because the tile installation and the grouting took place within hours of one another? Secondly, the...

Removing old grout from tiles on floor [ 3 Answers ]

The tile layers left grout that dried all over my floor. It's about 2 years old now and looks terrible. What can I use to remove it?

Removing grout from 1 inch tiles already off the floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I removed the tile in an area about 5 inches by 10 inches next to my tub. I have dry rot about 2 inches in diameter, I have cleaned the area and applied a wood hardiner. I need to get all the odd pieces of grout off the tiles. I know I need to repair the floor but I am ready to tackle...

View more questions Search