Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buttacup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2014, 12:00 PM
    Can I still find work in the medical field?
    I am medical assistant for over ten years. Just lost my job at hospital of eight years. Five or so years ago I had a car accident. I hit a police officers car and they found an alleged witness that said I was driving erratic. Three month later, I went to answer a ticket at court and the judge told me this was a very serious matter and I needed a lawyer. The night of the accident the officer got checked out at the hospital without any complaints, and three months later he goes for arthroscopic knee surgery. Once he had surgery the courts upgraded to felony charges. I went to jail for six months and finished five years probation. I have a family and bills and don't know where or how to find work.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 10, 2014, 01:31 PM
    Did you purposely make this story as mixed-up (time-wise) as possible?

So you just lost your job at the hospital, after they found out you had been conficted of a felony? Yes, unfortunately, many health-care institutions are not allowed to employ felony convicts. It's assinine, but true.

Did you plead guilty to the charge? Why? Did your attorney not tell you this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2014, 04:05 AM
    Sorry, sounds like you have a very poor attorney is a simple traffic accident. Does not matter if it was a police officer. Turned into a felony. Unless you were drinking or on drugs.

But yes, you will have a very hard time, getting work in medical field with a felony
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 11, 2014, 04:11 AM
    I agree that there are holes in this story - 6 months jail for this? Felony upgrade because the person you hit had to have knee surgery 3 months after the accident?

Sounds like a history of priors?

But your question is will you find work in the medical field with a felony and the answer is no.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 11, 2014, 04:42 AM
    When you took six months off for jail, where did the hospital think you were?

Something is not adding up if you worked for the hospital for 8 years and the accident and court hearing happened approximately six years ago. If you lied to them about your legal issues then it may have been more than your 'record' that got you fired. It will also be more than your record that keeps you from finding another job in the medical field or otherwise.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 11, 2014, 04:46 AM
    Anyone looking for work in the medical field has to provide a background check. It is the norm. You should know this if you HAVE worked in the medical field in any capacity, so your question is quite silly actually given your criminal background.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2014, 05:13 AM
    Yes, I was a police officer, I had a young man, ram my car on purpose, set off air bags, he had alluded the city police in high speed chase, had a weapon, and stolen property. He got suspended sentence to serve on probation. ** he had a good attorney.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2014, 08:00 AM
    You are not being clear or up front about the story. Try again and explain what actually happened. This is anonymous - be fully honest and we can better help you.
    You might be able to get your record expunged. You should see a very good attorney about the matter - not the cheapest. You may have to borrow money to pay them. If you can get the felony removed from your record, the issue will go away with employment.

It sounds like you were drunk driving and may have left the scene of the accident. Otherwise the erratic driving accusation later wouldn't mean much. If you were tested for alcohol at the time and passed, it would have simply been an accident, unless it appeared you were deliberately using your car as a weapon. Were you deliberately evading the police? Drunk? On drugs?

They either thought you were evading arrest, hit the officer on purpose or convicted you of DUI and/ or leaving the scene of an accident. Which is it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a convicted felon work in the medical field in Illinois [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get a license in Illinois for x-ray tech being a convicted felon?

Is medical billing a good field to get into [ 1 Answers ]

Is medical billing a good field to get into?

Can I work in the medical field having a marijuana trafficking felony [ 2 Answers ]

I have a marijuana traficking felony, can I go to medical school and find a job after I graduate? Or what can I do to get it closed or sealed. I live in miami. Help.

About medical field! [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know if this would be the correct place to ask this, but I'm going to try it anyway. I am a convicted felon. Drug case. Ive always wanted to work in the medical field. Before going to prison I was going to school for pharmacist. But now every field I seem to want to go into I cant. Does...

MD wants out of Medical Field [ 12 Answers ]

My husband is an OB/GYN doc. With all the hub bub invloved withHealth Insurance and other things, he is looking to maybe get out of the medical field. What does a 54 year old doctor do for a job outside of the medical field?

View more questions Search