Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbowles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Forms for Tax Refund for H1B visa Holder in the USA
    I have been a H1B visa holder since Sept 2005, I received a refund using an international company last year but didn't receive my refund until over 6 months later. I would like to file for myself but am unsure what forms to use. The folks in H+R Block had no idea what would be different with my application. Could you tell me what forms I should download and what I am entitled to as a H1B Visa holder? Also I spent over $700 last year in charitable donations, am I entitled to claim tax back for these contributions?
    Many Thanks

Danielle Bowles
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Denielle:

Assuming you were on H-1B for EVERY day in 2006, you were a resident alien. File Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

Itemizing is the only way you can deduct the $700 in charitable donations. However, it is likely that you do not have enough itemized tax deductions to exceed the $5,150 standard deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For Atlanta Tax Expert - Taxes for H1B Visa Holder [ 1 Answers ]

First of all thanks for all your posts they are very useful Have a few questions. I am an Indian who came to the US on F1 Visa in 2003 graduated in May 2005 and have been working since Oct 2005 on H1B Visa. Last year I filed 1040NR. Here are the questions: 1. Since in 2006 I was on H1B for...

H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife [ 1 Answers ]

I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine. I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006. For getting ITIN for my wife I...

TAX Exempt for OPT/H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in New York from November of 2005 with OPT visa (F-1) and got H-1 visa in October, 2006. I was told I should file tax as a non-resident for 2006 but I'm wondering if I can still claim exempt as a student for the time I worked as a OPT holder. (I did not claim it for 2005) And...

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

View more questions Search