Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lars Ruin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Canada capital gain tax on real estate
    I want to sell my vacation property. It is not my principal residence. It has increased in value three-fold in 10 years and I want to minimize my capital gain tax. I am planning on buying another vacation home soon after. If I arrange with the buyer, if willing, to hold part of the title and become their lender, can I transfer title as they pay me and spread the capital gain over multiple taxation years? If this plan works, what are the pitfalls, assuming I am willing to take the risk of the buyer's credit. What other plans are there to defer this tax?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 02:26 PM
    That will not work. Besides, the MAXIMUM capital gains rate is 15%, so why bother?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real estate tax law [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I own two separate houses jointly. The one house is deeded between her and I with a fmv of 700K orig purchased 20 years ago for 370 ) with depreciation an adj cost basis of 120K and mortgage balance of 530K . The other house is deeded between her and my husband valued at about...

Real estate deal gone bad in Ontario Canada [ 7 Answers ]

I recently sold my home, or thought I did. Using a realtor, an offer was accepted and a waiver signed on last day of conditional sale. 3 weeks later the purchaser backed out, claiming he was pushed into the sale by his agent. My question is not regarding the purchaser, but the commission of the...

Mortgage interest and real estate tax deduction for J-1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the US for 18 months, as an exchange professional. I plan to buy a condo or co-op in NYC and would like to know if I can deduct the interest on mortgage loan and the tax included in the monthly maintenance, from my taxed revenue? Thanks

View more questions Search