Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xx-man Posts: 37, Reputation: -1

May 8, 2014, 04:50 PM
    Dead weed whacker
    My weed whacker won't start... I put a new spark plug, checked for spark... ok... cleaned carb... ok... removed spark plug and placed gas in cylinder, replaced spark plug... nothing... even used starting fluid... If carb is bad, or gas is bad it should at least sputter a little with starting fluid / gas placed directly in cylinder.. . what else could it possibly be!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 8, 2014, 05:00 PM
    Worn out, causing low compression?

May 8, 2014, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Worn out, causing low compression?
    Relatively new unit... bought last fall... I even made sure to use it once a month all winter long... it ran great... I checked the piston... it moves freely... there's spark.. but won't even attempt to give up a little sputter... Had a similar problem with a tiller I have... if gone unused for too long the carb clogs up and sometimes the gas and oil separate... I always shake the fuel good before starting... but this has new gas... even with starting fluid placed directly into the chamber it won't even sputter... there's got to be something I am overlooking..?
    Uber Member

May 9, 2014, 04:43 AM
    If you've always run it with the correct oil/gas mix... then I agree it shouldn't be worn out.

You need ignition source at the right time (spark in this case) fuel and air in the right mixture. And compresion.

What's the spark look like... blue or yellow?

May 9, 2014, 01:30 PM
    Spark seems to be blueish... but any spark should ignite gas in the chamber...
    Uber Member

May 9, 2014, 02:20 PM
    If its blueish you are good there. A weak yellow spark isn't always enough to do the job.

What exatly did you use to clean the carb out with? Not everythig will disolve varnish.

May 10, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If its blueish you are good there. A weak yellow spark isn't always enough to do the job.

What exatly did you use to clean the carb out with? Not everythig will disolve varnish.
    I used starting fluid... then gumout... followed by strarting fluid rinse.. always worked before...
    Uber Member

May 10, 2014, 10:36 AM
    Starting fluid isn't a really good solvent for gum and varnish... but the gumout is... I assume it's the carb cleaner Gumout because they make a variety of products not all of which are suitible.

Perhaps during the disassembly and cleaning and reasembly.. you didn't get the adjustment screws back to close what their original settings were. And if you didn't remove them for the cleaning... you missed some important parts that never got cleaned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Featherlite weed whacker [ 1 Answers ]

HOW DO I restring my feather lite weed eater?

Weed Whacker and oil [ 1 Answers ]

I forgot that my Toro 4 cycle weed whacker takes regular gas. I accidentally, put gas in the whacker mixed with oil. The engine started with no problems however after about 5 minutes it started to run roughly and when I tried to press on the level to turn the whacker it stalls. After realizing...

Weed whacker runs like its choked but its not [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Homelite Z850 gas powered weed wacker and its was running great last year. This year after I start and it runs, no matter how long it runs when I give it gas it acts like its choked, never gets to full speed and the gas consumption is very high. I checked the air filter and when I remove...

Weed whacker [ 2 Answers ]

New weed whacker will not start no matter what, fuel is NOT old...

Mtd Weed Whacker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a MTD weed wacker that just won't start, it does on the first attempt and shuts off after about 5-10 seconds max. after that it won't start at all. I put the proper mixer ration of gas and two in one oil, and I have also changed the spark plug. Any suggestions, thanks!

View more questions Search