Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunstonb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2014, 12:14 PM
    My sister lives in Granville County and is in great need of home repairs
    My sister lives in Creedmoor, North Carolina and is in need of home repairs but can't afford the cost of repairs. Is there an agency that can help her. She was the primary provider for my Mom before she died and I would like to see her have some needed repairs to her home (new windows, carpet, flooring in her kitchen, etc.).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 7, 2014, 12:38 PM
    Rarely do any local or state agencies provide for home repair. There are just too many people with no home at all. Sometimes local charities and churches will help with labor.
    Is there are reason that her siblings (you, any others) aren't helping, given that she (I presume) didn't get paid for all the care she gave to your mother? Or did she get your mother's house?
    She could get a reverse mortgage if she is 62+. She could talk to her town about defaulting on her property taxes. They will accrue at high interest, but often the town will just let an older owner go, as long as the debt isn't greater than the value of the house.
    I would look into the reverse mortgage - the lender pays her monthly and gets the house when she dies, and pays any heirs the balance. If she lives too long, of course, they can kick her out when they have paid enough years of payments.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 7, 2014, 02:32 PM
    Aren't you able to provide any help to your sister?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2014, 04:14 PM
    The Methodist church for one that I know of, does many repairs throughout the U.S. I know of cases where they have put on a new roof. Don't know about windows.
    Much of the work is done during summer months by students, but some Meth. churches and most likely other denominations have a year round program(s).
    Suggest that you make some calls and find if any help is available at churches, etc in your area.
    Is your sister a senior citizen? If so, you may get some suggestions from an Office on Aging type facility in your county also.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2014, 07:35 PM
    Does not sound like she is elderly, most community help is for the elderly.

She can check with her local religious group. Of her choice. Often local churches, where you are a member, are helpful.

Methodist, Catholic, and Lutherans have charities group that help,

If she is veteran, some of their groups help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend's fake sister. Too close, lives in his house, wears his clothes etc. Help! [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I both are 17. I have recently found out that one of the girls my boyfriend introduced to me as his sister is not, in fact, his sister. She is just a really close family friend. She has no blood or legal ties with him what so ever! Yet she is so close to his family that she has her...

Home repairs [ 8 Answers ]

Hello my wife and I are both disabled 53yrs old, live in central MI, and or well has gone bad is there away to get help with this type of repair DHS siad they will pay $1400.00 of the $7000.00 but there's no way we can pay the other $5600.00 we own or home .the bank stated we don't have sufficient...

My sister is 20 and lives with my parents. She is having some problems. [ 16 Answers ]

I am much older (35) . There are several issues: first she has been staying out until 3 or 4 in the morning most nights of the week with friends. A part time babysitting job is her only income. She sleeps until 2 or later. She was in school, but she dropped out. She has a pretty severe weight...

Floyd Taraszewski lives in Tarentum, PA. Where is his sister, Mary Jean, living? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to locate the former Mary Jean Taraszewski. Her brother, Floyd "Bucky" Traszewski lives in Tarentum, pA

View more questions Search