Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    P U Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Oscillations
    A pendulum whose upper end is attached so as to allow the pendulum to swing freely in any direction can be used to repeat an experiment first shown publicly by Foucault in Paris in 1851. If the pendulum is set oscillating ,the plane of oscillation slowly rotates with respect to a line drawn on the floor, even though the tension in the wire supporting the bob and the gravitational pull of the Earth on the bob lie in a vertical plane.
    (a) Show that this is a result of the fact that the Earth is not an inertial frame.
    (b)Show that for a Foucault pendulum at a Latitude θ, the period of rotation of the plane, in hours, is 24sinθ.
    (c)Explain in simple terms the result at θ=90 (the poles) and θ=0 (equator).
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 7, 2014, 08:55 AM
    What do YOU think ?
    While we're happy to HELP we wont do all the work for you.
    P U Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2014, 08:58 AM
    A pendulum whose upper end is attached so as to allow the pendulum to swing freely in any direction can be used to repeat an experiment first shown publicly by Foucault in Paris in 1851. If the pendulum is set oscillating ,the plane of oscillation slowly rotates with respect to a line drawn on the floor, even though the tension in the wire supporting the bob and the gravitational pull of the Earth on the bob lie in a vertical plane. (a) Show that this is a result of the fact that the Earth is not an inertial frame. (b)Show that for a Foucault pendulum at a Latitude θ, the period of rotation of the plane, in hours, is 24sinθ. (c)Explain in simple terms the result at θ=90 (the poles) and θ=0 (equator).
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 7, 2014, 04:13 PM
    You just posted your question again. Please read Curlyben's post and the sticky about "homework".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harmonic oscillations problem [ 2 Answers ]

An object performs a harmonic motion. If the values of the deflections are x1=2 , x2=3 and the velocities are v1=5 , v2=4 , calculate the amplitude and the angular frequency of the harmonic oscillator. Here is what I solved so far: x_1=A_1 cos \omega t_1 x_2=A_2 cos \omega t_2 v_1=\omega A_1...

Oscillations PLEASE HELP [ 5 Answers ]

2.Two pendulum of length 1.21m and 1m start vibrating. At some instant the two are in the mean position in same phase. After how many vibrations of the longer pendulum will they be in the same phase again?

Oscillations [ 7 Answers ]

The position of a mass oscillating on a spring is given by x = ( 3.2cm)Cos What is the first time the mass is at the position x = 0? I was able to calculate the period of motion which is .74 seconds. I am having the hardest time figuring out the time when the position is 0. Maybe its my...

Oscillations and ionosphere [ 13 Answers ]

I had a question in my physics book which I can't solve... I don't even know where to start :( The ionosphere contains free electrons. What is the amplitude of these electrons when subjected to a 200 kHz electromagnetic wave in which the oscillations of electric field have amplitude 5 x 10^-3...

Oscillations; Simple Harmonic Motion [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having trouble understanding that question. And as such, cannot answer it: Qu: A point moves with S.H.M. along an x-axis according to the equation: \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + Ax = 0 The period of this motion is: A. \frac{\sqrt A}{2\pi}

View more questions Search