Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1895 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2014, 03:40 AM
    What happens if a couple divorced but never separated and continued as common law?
    We were married in 1967 in another country, in the 80's I filed for divorce due to maltreatment , we never separated stayed living together and continued filing joint returns it was a joint decision not to separate. We had joint property before the divorce and during living together, how can we part with ownership and is it costly, we are now ages 69 and 70
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2014, 03:42 AM
    You are divorced, so you will have to just agree to who owns what, and divide it without the court
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 7, 2014, 04:13 AM
    You illegally enjoyed the benefits of joint tax returns... but even if you were divorced in the US, the IRS doesn't know this unless someone tells them.

I agree that property settlement is between the two of you. Hire one legal mediator if you want to save on two lawyers. Save even more and work it out on your own! Make lists and take your time. You've gone this long so why not do this peacefully. At your stage, the two biggest obstacles are who gets the house and who gets the pet(s) if any.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married,separated but not divorced [ 0 Answers ]

I married a fine young american in 2006 we were doing well until things fell apart we separated and I left the country soon after to go back home we never divorced each other so what I would like to know is if I can still apply for my green card to become a citizen.

Separated but not divorced filing I-751 [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to fill out the I-751 form if I have been separated but still married since there is no waiver or exemption for that status. I have tax returns joint and even my id with the same address but we don't live together anymore. How do I procedure? Thanks in advance

Legally separated or divorced? [ 1 Answers ]

I married my wife in my parents back yard. We only lived together for 2 months. I am not divorced from her, yet have not lived with her as husband and wife for at least 12 years now. I have however lived as domestic partners with another woman for 8 years. She says me and my wife are not legally...

Can I be common law parter if my boyfriend is not divorced but separate 6 years now ? [ 3 Answers ]

:) help ! I lived with my boyfriend 2years and 3months now . We want to be common law partner .but his wife doesn't want to sign the divorce paper ? Can we be common law couple without divorce paper ? Jessie

Divorced or separated [ 11 Answers ]

We do not know if a friend is divorced or separated she will not say. I odd thing is her husband and her kids live a minute walk away from each other. Have you ever heard of ex's living this close?:)

View more questions Search