Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2005, 02:14 PM
    20 AMP Circuit with 15 AMP Receptical, is this OK, and in code?
    This is sort of similar to the other thread, but my problem is the house I bought is wired with 12, all the breakers are 20AMP except for the 30AMP for the AC and Dryer. When me and my dad were changing the power recepticals, which were 15 amp, someone told us that we should have 20 recepticals, or change the breakers to 15 AMP.

Ideally since the house already has 20AMP circuits and 12 wire, should I buy the more expesive recepticals or keep the 15 AMP ones? If I keep the 15 AMP ones does this pose a fire threat or a code violation for Ohio? Someone told me that it would not be in code if I kept the 15AMP recepticals and if I planned on changing them all out I should just buy the better ones and that way I won't have any worries and be able to use up to the 20AMP range until the breaker would blow and not risk the receptical overheating or catching fire.

Last, even though the 20AMP recepticals have the different notch in the plug face can I still use regular electrical equipment, applicances, like a TV etc with only 2 prongs, it will still work with everything?
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 21, 2005, 02:59 PM
    I can't answer as to being in code. But you should definitely change the outlets. All outlets and wiring should have a greater capacity than the circuit breaker. That way the breaker will trip before the fire starts.

A lot of electrical and electronic equipment only have two prongs on the plug. Use polarized outlets and you should be OK. Unless you are using some old metal case equipment.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2005, 08:17 PM
    For normal household use, the 15 amp outlets should work. You shouldn't get in trouble unless you unplug heavy loads like an air conditioner when it is running. Still, they are cheap and easy to replace, won't hurt to replace them.

By different notches, do you mean the long and short ones, or the ones that that will also take a plug with the blade turned 90 degrees? Either style will work with standard plugs. Some outlets and plugs have one or more blades turned 90 degrees. Matching ones are used for special purposes. Skip the outlets that will not take regular plugs.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2005, 04:03 PM
    Save your money, do not change your outlets unless you want to have new, clean , or different colored devices and plates. A 15 amp device is perfectly fine and per code, and perferred. A 15 amp device limits an otherwise 20 rated circuit to 15 amps.

A true 20 plug is different and cannot be used in a 15 amp outlet. Unless you use those multiple plugstrips and got 5 electric heaters running on it, hopefully not. The one you have with one blade up ant the other sideways is problably rated 20 amp,read the label.

Ask for an appeal if any inspector requires you to replace the devices.

Now if you have a circuit that needs a full 20 amps circuit to operate properly, then change that outlet/outlets.

If you can then afford to replace all the outlets, be my guest...

But think, if you replace them all yourself inproperly , 30 outlets with each min 3 connections equals 90 possible loose, potentially dangerous , connections.

Ask for an estimate by a good electrician, will be good investment for your home.

Kevin
    MattwRuss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 05:14 PM
    1) How many outlets can you put on 1- 15 amp circuit? And how many can you put on a 20 amp circuit?

2) I have 50 amp and 30 amp service on the side of my house for an RV hook-ups and was wondering if that would be enough to supply a detached garage so I don't have to pull NEW service from the street?

3)How many different 15 or 20 amp circuits can I run if I use only the 50 amp service?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 2, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MattwRuss View Post
    1) How many outlets can you put on 1- 15 amp circuit? and how many can you put on a 20 amp circuit?

2) I have 50 amp and 30 amp service on the side of my house for an RV hook-ups and was wondering if that would be enought to supply a detatched garage so I don't have to pull NEW service from the street?

3)How many different 15 or 20 amp circuits can I run if I use only the 50 amp service?
    1) No limit in a residential setting.

2) Impossible to say. Receptacles don't draw power, so simply having them means nothing. It's what will be connected and used that matters.
    Also, those are just branch circuits, they have nothing to do with your overall service as far as capacity goes. Is the service 100A? 150A? 200A? 400A?

3) Again, no limit.

4) This is completely off topic to the original post. This should have been it's own thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OBD code P0335 (crank position A circuit malfunction) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having problems with a 1.8 nissan primera (petrol) engine light is on OBD returned this fault. Has had crank sensor replaced which improved things slightly, but it's still not 100% and engine light is still on. The nissan dealer cleared the code memory and re-checked the OBD. Same...

Need help in VB Code [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, Iam traying to get result of my record as below If next record is biger than previous show "1" If next record is same previous show "1" If next record is smallest show "0" if next record is same previous show "0" Example

Receptical and switches [ 5 Answers ]

When purchasing recepticals and switches what price range should I be looking at. I have seen 10 packs at home depot for about $5. Im sure they are not the best choice only being about .50 a piece. I am using them for residential.

Roof receptical [ 3 Answers ]

I need to install a receptical under the eve of my roof for roof cable to plug into for melting ice on my roof. I would also like a pilot lite switch installed to let me know when the power is on for the roof cables. Do I need conduit from the inside of the house to the outside box. Any help in...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search