Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve Buss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2014, 05:59 PM
    Test for thermal leaks.
    How do you test for thermal leaks in double paned windows
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

May 4, 2014, 07:21 PM
    A couple of suggestions. If the seal is broken for the double pane window it will often build up condensation between the double panes during cold times(winter). The condensation will generally stay there-depends. A thermal imaging camera can generally tell where these kind of problems exist. This works best when there is a significant difference between inside and outside temperatures. The idea is to look at your home and see what the temperatures are and compare the window suspected with the others and see if there is a significant temp difference. Again, winter temperature differences show a better picture. I have and app for my IPAD that has a thermal imaging component, but probably not good enough for what you are asking. A glass company probably has a way to detect, but I have never seen them do anything, so I don't know their methods. I know that condensation between the panes is a definite sign the seal has been broken. I am not a glass expert, just had windows and sliding doors where this has happened to me and replaced them.
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Jun 6, 2014, 05:22 PM
    An excellent way to check any type of thermal leak is with a calibrated infra red camera. They can be rented at many rental supply houses for a nominal fee. The best time to do such an inspection is as studs ad said when there is a notable difference in temp between indoors and outdoors. You will also likely find several other areas that need minor repair to fix thermal leaks. If it feels cold near a window in the winter 9 times out of 10 it's the sealing around the edge of the window rather than a faulty thermal pane.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Force to push a desk is 650N. Desk mass is 110Kg. Friction is 0.8 What is the Ff? [ 0 Answers ]

8 Dogs pull a sled with Mass 200Kg. Friction is 0.1 and acceleration is 1.5 m/s2. Assume equal force for each Dog. What is the Force for each Dog?

Rolltop desk down and locked cannot unlock it with key antique lawyers desk [ 1 Answers ]

I have an antique lawyers roll top desk and in the process of oiling it we pulled the roll top all the way down to the closed position and it locked. We tried to unlock it with the key but the key will only partially turn and not move the mechanism( which seem to be horizontal rods inside the...

Unlock Rolltop desk when desk is open [ 0 Answers ]

I seeking some help. I would like to unlock the internal lock assembly to access left handside drawers. The drawers are locked even when the shutter is open. I'm not sure where the internal lock is and I have the original key.

Desk want boot up all the way can I send a boot disk from my laptop to the desk hard [ 1 Answers ]

Desktop want boot up give me a disk boot failue I do not have disk to insert how do I get it to bootup

View more questions Search