Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mzkathy531 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2014, 01:58 PM
    Rent to own
    Is there a way to protect the buyer? Contract is in owners best interest.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2014, 02:53 PM
    Yes, usually the contract is in the seller's interest. However, the contract is whatever you negotiate. What clauses are there that you think do not protect you?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 4, 2014, 02:58 PM
    I would want one in my interest as a seller, particularly if you default. As Scott asks, what clauses bother you?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 4, 2014, 03:06 PM
    Rent to own is fraught with problems, I think. How do you write a contract that says the buyer gets X dollars back if he backs out? Rent to own is generally higher monthly payments. How do you deal with fluctuating markets? Either buyer or seller is bound to be disgruntled at the agreed on sale price at times.

I would rent and save my money for a down payment and owner financing. That also gives the tenant time to get a feel for all the things that might be wrong with the house, the neighbors, the town, and his own ability to pay for a home, which is always more than the first time buyer thinks.
    mzkathy531 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2014, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mzkathy531 View Post
    Is there a way to protect the buyer? Contract is in owners best interest.
    I guess what bothers me is that the Owner has the option on if anything unforseen happens to the house, he has 30 days to terminate the lease and everything we have put into the house is lost. Its at his discretion.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2014, 04:09 PM
    So tell him that clause is unacceptable. Tell him to either remove the clause or rewrite it. He can either be more specific about what would allow him to terminate the contract or allow you to challenge the termination in court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2014, 07:50 PM
    Would need to see the clause in context, but most, if the buyer, is in default. Due to any clause, they have 30 days to fix the default or it reverts to a rental and the buying is voided.

Rent to own, or even contract for deeds are often done to buyers with extremely poor credit, who are high risks, so the buyer wants full protection. About 85 to 90 percent fail and the house goes back to the seller.

I sold one house 4 times before the last buyer actually paid it off.
    current pert

May 5, 2014, 05:09 AM
    I'll be more emphatic: DON'T do it. Rent normally at a lower rate and save for a down payment and owner financing. That way YOU are on the deed. The owner can foreclose if you default, just like any lender. I agree that most rent to owns fail, at the expense of the tenant/future owner.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2014, 05:38 AM
    I agree with the advice given here by the others... the owners is going to have the contract written to suit them, because they are taking most of the risk, but the contract has to be written within the guidlines of what is legally allowed. Sure you can always ask...but don't expect to get everything you ask for.

There is no way you are going to get a contract that is more in your favor then theirs... as was mentioned. As a property owner I'm not going to give away the farm until after I've been paid for it... so to speak. You really have no other leverage unless you have the credit worthiness to get a mortgage through a traditional lender. And if you do... it would be better for you to buy it by taking out a mortgage.

Rent isn't tax deductible for a residence... but your interest paid on an actual mortgage is.
    current pert

May 5, 2014, 06:33 AM
    '... and everything we have put into the house is lost.'

Does this mean it's a fixer upper, and you plan to put time and money into fixing it?
    DO NOT DO THIS.
    Unless your name is on a deed, do not spend money above the rent!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent exp. On I.c statement is 26500 beginning pre rent is 5500 end pre rent is 4000 t [ 1 Answers ]

Rent expense listed in company's income statement is 26500. Beginning prepaid rent is 5500 and ending prepaid rent is 4000. The amount of cash paid for rent expense during the year is.

Paid rent but got evicted halfway through month. Do I get half a months rent back? [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting evicted for noise complaints. I Paid rent on the first of the month, And received the notice on the sencond. I have to be out on the 16th (halfway through the month). I was wondering if I get a half months rent back?

In case of rent two rents account are opened. Rent received is credited to what? [ 3 Answers ]

In case of rent ,two account may be opened.rent received is credited to rent receivable account;rent paid to rent account.at the end of the year the profit and loss is debited to rent paid and credited with rent receivable.help me in criticizing the above treatment of rent account.

I rent in Florida, we received a Foreclosure notice Do we have to pay our rent [ 2 Answers ]

We rent through a leasing company, We were served Foreclosure papers, Is it not illegeal for the owner to collect rent if he is in foreclosure. Can we stop paying rent? Our lease is up April 27th and the way things are backed up the eviction would not happen on my watch I hear 6month to 9mon...

View more questions Search