Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VegasNut Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Auto Insurance for Teenage Son
    Hello,
    Trying to find the best way to insure my teenage son for auto insurance. He is 17 yrs old and I have been told that it is cheaper to add him to my policy, but the risk could be greater to me. I have been told that it may be better to simply let him get his own policy, although higher cost, less risk to me and my policy.
    Ref: we live in Nevada

Thank You
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 11:15 AM
    "risk to your policy" you mean in him having accidents and the such.

Of course to have his own policy he will have to also have his own car, not merely an additional policy on your car. Also depending on the company, he may not be allowed to drive your car and would not be a listed driver on your policy.

This is what I did when my older boys all turned 16, bought them a older used car and let them have their own insurance, and there were not listed on my car policies as a driver. So they could not drive my cars, but my insurance was cheaper and not effected by their tickets, accidents and the such.
    DerekDND Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Your specific auto insurance problem is a familiar situation for many families across the country; but still a very good question. I've found that MOST car insurance companies give you very good deals on having multiple cars being insured under one policy. Of course, you're worried about your son's additional liability being added to your policy. This is a very real factor and it should be taken seriously. If your son starts his own policy, it will NOT be cheap auto insurance because of his age and sex.

Like the previous Answer mentioned, you can have him under your policy with him NOT insured on your car, but only on his own and you'll save money this way. As far as his liability goes, there are many things you can do to keep his record clean. Traffic schools and defensive driving programs will keep his tickets off your policy.

You can also qualify for MANY discounts in your specific situation. (And probably some more than you haven't even thought about). For example, Auto Insurance - Welcome to Auto Insurance Quotes for Free has a car insurance Discount called the Multi-Car Discount that you should really learn about. Among others on that site, it will help you with your situation in calculating which auto insurance policy will be most cost-effective for you and your son.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful Irresponsible Teenage Son [ 2 Answers ]

I have a good relationship with son usually, however, he shows disrespect at times. He doesn't seem to care about anybody but himself. He's not motivated.. . All his friends have jobs and cars and he just believes his father (whom I'm divorced from) and I should give him these things. He holds...

Teenage Son is Very Disrespectful [ 5 Answers ]

My ex and I have been divorced for about 10 years and have a 14 year old son. We have shared custody and my son has been living week on week off. This summer, our son got into some trouble with drugs and the wrong crowd. In the fall, the bad behaviour continued and his grades dropped. Although,...

Teenage son [ 18 Answers ]

I have absolutely had it! I hate my son! I do! He is argumentative continually. I have never heard a human being argue to the extent he does. He is rude to not only me, his step father, other adults, a teacher at school and friends. He says all we do is yell at him and I have made a...

Loss of teenage son [ 11 Answers ]

How can I help my boyfriend cope with the loss of his teenage son. He is dazed and confused, angry and lethargic.

Auto insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about "aig" are they reputable? Thks noboat

View more questions Search