Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CuriousQ55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2014, 04:09 PM
    Implications from status being changed from W2 to 1099
    The employer that I work for ( as a part time W2 employee) was recently purchased by another organization. The new company has now decided that all of us in my role ( we are all remote) will have our status changed away from W2. We have been told that we could move to 1099 or other statuses as well ( S corp for example.) Previously the only benefit we received was the ability to contribute to the company 401 - no healthcare or other benefit since we are part time. In terms of actual hours worked... for example I worked approx 120-122 days... typically 10 hour days.
    So my question is around the actual change itself... does this mean that the employer is essentially terminating us? And if so, would we be eligible for some sort of severance pay?
    We have been told that since the status changes that we will for example need to change our Linked in pages since we won't be employess..,.
    Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2014, 04:39 PM
    No severance pay, unless it is in our contract. They will no longer withhold income taxes or social security. So your hourly pay will have to be raised to cover, income taxes and also self employment taxes.

You are no longer covered by unemployment, and no longer covered by workers comp.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2014, 04:44 PM
    You will now be responsible for paying your own Social Security, but I doubt if they will raise your wages to compensate.

You might be eligible for severance, though I again doubt it, since I doubt if part-timers are covered under the company's severance policy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed visa status mid-year. Which status to file under? [ 1 Answers ]

Went from F1 to H1b on July1st 2013. I do not meet the substantial presence test as I arrived in the US in Aug 2010 on an F-1 and have filed as a non-resident for 2010, 2011 and 2012. In 2013, I was outside the country for 11 days (6 days in F1 status at the beginning of the year and 5 days in...

What are the tax implications of a 1099-A if box 5 was not checked [ 3 Answers ]

I received a 1099-A for a rental foreclosure in AZ (a non-deficiency state). I have the original sales date and price (233,000 in Aug of 2006). Box 2 of the 1099-A is 176,011.00 (the loan outstanding balance) and box 4 was 101,000.00 (FMV). Also, box 5 was not checked. What are my tax liablities...

Are there tax or financial implications to the issuer of a 1099? Thank you. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live in California. I did some work for my father last fall, on his house in Nevada. I was compensated for that work for $2000, plus the airfare. I need to reflect that income as 1099 income from him. If he issues me a 1099 for that income what must he do on his end, if anything, to...

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

Tax implications of 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

My son has had a paper route for the past 2 years and the income has always reported on his SSN as 1099 income. The newpaper company is changing policies and will no longer hire minors. If I put the route in my name and receive a 1099 for the income and the issue a 1099 to my son paying him the...

View more questions Search