Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ouchitstungme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2014, 04:05 PM
    Brown, maggot like bug with about six legs in front that stings.
    Hello, I have been researching all day trying to find out what this bug is. I have a picture of it but am not seeing the option to upload so I'll describe it the best I can.

Its a brown, hard shell maggot like in size and movement, has about six legs in the front of body, short hairs covering it and two short pinchers on its end. I have found two of these crawling on my bed in my room in West Virginia. The first one stung me and it left a little red mark and burned and stung for about a half an hour. I thought maybe it was a carpet bug but although it looks similar, what I found is slimmer and its hairs are shorter and instead of the long hairs on the end it has the two short pinchers.

Please help me find out what this is and how to get rid of it without a costly exterminator. I tried posting a picture to another site but they cannot receive photos at this time and I've tried to become a member several places and post the picture but fail for some reason or another. Its really frustrating. Please help!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 3, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Does it look something like this:

Name:  earwig01pmag.jpg
Views: 4044
Size:  22.0 KB
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 3, 2014, 04:33 PM
    Posting a picture:

1. At the bottom of the box that you type in there's a link that says "go advanced". Click it.

2. A paperclip symbol will show up on the top option on the box that you type in. Click the paperclip.

3. A new box will pop up called "manage your attachments".

4. Hit the "browse" button.

5. Find the picture you want to post and double click on it.

6. Hit the "upload" button beside the browse button.

7. Under the section "Upload file from a URL", a link will appear. That's your picture.

8. Close the manage attachments window.

9. Click on the paperclip again. Your link for your picture will be there. Click on it.

10. Post.

You can post up to 5 pictures per post.
    Pest Control Expert

May 3, 2014, 04:47 PM
    Name:  velvet ant.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  7.0 KB

On reflection, you might have run across a Velvet Ant. They're actually a wasp.

May 3, 2014, 10:31 PM
    Neither of the pictures match this bug :( am totally freaked out and can't even sleep and when I di I have nightmares about them.I looked under the box here and don't see the go advance to post a picture still :( I'm going to keep trying though because I really want to know what these nasty critters are.

May 3, 2014, 11:16 PM
    Hopefully this works.
    Attached Images

Pest Control Expert

May 4, 2014, 05:46 AM
    Aha! That's a caterpillar. The most common stinging caterpillar in WV is the Eastern Tent Caterpillar, often called a Bagworm for the nests they make in trees.

Here's what Kentucky has to say about them. Eastern Tent Caterpillar | University of Kentucky Entomology

Note that they grow more colorful as they mature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small black bug with 6 legs? [ 1 Answers ]

Around my house I've been seeing these small black bugs crawling around. I see them maybe once every few days, in random spots like on the wall or on my bed. I live in Wisconsin and I have seen these bugs other years at about this time, for a few months, and then they just disappear. Took a...

White fuzzy bug with 6 legs? [ 14 Answers ]

I live in Michigan and I was sweeping my kitchen floor and found this small bug. The bug looked like it was covered in baby powder and had antennas! With only six legs it is not a spider but looks a lot like one! WHAT IS IT??

Unexplained bug bites all over legs [ 1 Answers ]

I have what looks like mosquito bite on the tipes of my feet, the back of my knees, and some on my thighs. The bitese look kind of like a white head is in the middle and they itch so bad. This has never happened before. The other day I just woke up with them. My mom thought it might be bed...

The White, 6 legs, bug [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm baby sitting and the kid I'm babysitting tell me that there is a white bug.. I have no clue what it is. Its maybe the size of a little aun.. maybe a tad bigger.. it has no wings.. long antenna's and it looks like it loves to climb. I have looked all over the internet to figure what...

White, fuzzy bug, 6 legs, antennes [ 4 Answers ]

I found a white, fuzzy bug with 6 legs and antennes in my house. What kind is it?

View more questions Search