Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 12:21 PM
    You don't have a credit card or bank account?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 12:27 PM
    Or a Retirement account..
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Yea I know how IP addresses work and man-in-the-middle attacks work. Your deluded fear provoking spam post is much ado about nothing. It's all about federated identity management, something we're thinking about doing in our gov as well as many other institutions in order to increase security with our trusted partners and contractors. It's all opt in. I went to the original facts instead of a horribly slanted and misinformation spewing blog.
    I don't blindly trust the government...

YOU might... I've seen more than enough over the last 3 decades to know everything isn't always as it appears to those not in the know.

No, most of it isn't malevolent... but when you have the IRS being used as attack dogs to get revenge and punish your opponents... I see plenty of bad that it can be used for... and it didn't[t start with OBAMA... it goes back a lot further for example Hillary with FILEGATE... and numerous other examples of misuse of power...

THE more power can capability you give a politition and the government... the more they can do to use it against anyone that opposes them in any way.

But then... you are of the mindset... if its what I want... its all good... but if its not.. then its all bad.

I see it as if it can be abused... its all a matter of time before it will be. Because history has proven that is always the case.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 12:34 PM
    Credit cards are top notch for fraud alerts, plus we usually pay in cash. And we're retired. And carefully monitor any accounts.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Credit cards are top notch for fraud alerts, plus we usually pay in cash. And we're retired. And carefully monitor any accounts.
    Ever try to fix it after you did find a case if identity fraud?

I haven't, but a coworker did... he went through hell, and 7 years later is still dealing with it... and he did catch it in a matter of a week. THey had identified and arrested the person in a month of it being noticed. yet 7 years later there is still fallout from it.

I refuse to allow my account to be linked to anything online....because of the risk of malware getting on my machine undetected. I'm not convinced about the ultimate security of online banking as a result
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 12:39 PM
    smoothy, anything can be abused. It's great to be mindful and even wary, but don't go on a witch hunt.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 12:45 PM
    smoothy, anything can be abused. It's great to be mindful and even wary, but don't go on a witch hunt.
    No witch hunt here... between What the DOJ has been doing the last 6 years... what the White House as actually been doing with the IRS... its not a witch hunt. The fact that government agencies that have no reason to be armed at all much less heavily armed more than some countries actual armies are buying so much ammunition that its trippled prices in the market and even created periods where certain types are anavailible for weeks or months at a time....

Try and buy a case of .223 ammunition right now....look up the price for it just two or three years ago. It was cheaper and easier to find at the height of our actions in Afghanistan and Iraq than it is now. That happens to be the main ammunition used by our government.

THere is all the reason in the world to be suspicious these days. When you are given good cause.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 01:04 PM
    Why would I want a case of ammunition?
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 02:31 PM
    Why would I want a case of ammunition?
    Defend yourself from the thugs in Chicago? Target practice at the range? Its fun and satisfying.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 02:43 PM
    I don't blindly trust the government...
    Who said anything about trusting the government? This has nothing to do with the government's power. You always assume stuff that isn't there. These are products available from various vendors. Pick the one you want, tailor it to your needs or don't use federated identity management at all. Man, for a guy who developed most of the internet you're not too savvy about this stuff.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2014, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Defend yourself from the thugs in Chicago? Target practice at the range? Its fun and satisfying.
    I'm not anywhere near those thugs. And I have better things to do.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Who said anything about trusting the government? This has nothing to do with the government's power. You always assume stuff that isn't there. These are products available from various vendors. Pick the one you want, tailor it to your needs or don't use federated identity management at all. Man, for a guy who developed most of the internet you're not too savvy about this stuff.
    You've proven how little you do know about it... on matters of the infrastructure its actually HEAVILY regulated by the Government... in fact the entire industry is heavily regulated. It was news long before Snowden the government had taps in the networks. In fact its been over a decade. I remember when it was going in.....we all pretty much guessed what it was for....correctly we later found out. Can't rememebr exactly which year it started on the data stuff domestically but it was less than 17 but more than 10. It started on the phone voice networks back in 1971.

But then... you are in Canada... you haven't even spent any time with the Canadian Government because if you don't think its happening up there too you are mistaken... it just might not be as advanced or as sophistcated... but there isn't a government on the planet that doesn't do it to some degree...if it was easier or cheaper most of them would even be doing it a lot more.

I didn't personally develope the internet....I've been only part of its growth in one way or other since 1981 (meaning a hell of a lot more than AL GORE)....the only part I haven't been involved in at some time was sales....though there have been intermittant breaks from being in that field for about 7 years of that. I was part of as small team that did develope something everyone with a computer uses all the time thats essential today....If I've told you what it was....you know, if I didn't I'm not posting it online.

I'm not an authority on routers or servers, I only dabble in those....but I know both terrestrial and Sattellite based networks very, very well. Something I've been doing for the Government and Embassies (at least 100) and a number of commercial interests in most countries on the planet since 1987. It stopped being fun some time ago....there certainly isn't a lot of easy money in it these days, like there used to be, And I'm looking to move on into something more exciting. Or at least different.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 03:05 PM
    Snowden is exactly why there is a need for federated ID. He didn't use taps.
    My god, you keep showing your ignorance, stop typing.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 04:48 PM
    YOU keep proving your lack of knowledge... constantly... by not having a clue about how the worlds telecom infrastructure actually works... How much time and experience do you have actually working in it?. and being in some IT department isn't working in it, not by a long shot..

There is a lot more to the Snowden story than whats on the news.... I personally think he deserves anything he gets....but he isn't as smart as he thinks he is...and he only got away with it due to the incompetance of a few other people who should have known better....and I'm not talking about the people who gave him their logins.

Might be news to you and a lot of other people...but its well known in this area there are some other people who should be held accountable that were much higher up than him....that aren't being held accountable. They knew what he was doing, approved the means he did it.....then faked being shocked after he took off with it. He really wasn't secretive about it like everyone thinks. Unlike the transvestite freak that handed everything to Wiki leaks.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 05:01 PM
    It doesn't matter! Every SOB who work for a company knows how many skid marks in your underwear last Tuesday. Even the crooks down the street. Deal with it and quit scaring yourself.

What are YOU going to do about it besides lose sleep, and buy bullet?
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    It doesn't matter! Every SOB who work for a company knows how many skid marks in your underwear last Tuesday. Even the crooks down the street. Deal with it and quit scaring yourself.

What are YOU going to do about it besides lose sleep, and buy bullet?
    Make sure everyone knows... information is important... the government gets away with a lot of stuff if nobody knows they are doing it. Let everyone know and collective uproar can make it a political issue and a kiss of death to political careers of anyone that supports it.

Look at the uproar over the NSA domestic spying when Snowden revealed it...

This is even more insidious then that.
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 06:11 PM
    Crap... got raccons in my garage now to deal with.. damnit.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2014, 06:18 PM
    paranoia, you sure that's raccoons, it 's probably the NSA installing survelliance
    Uber Member

May 2, 2014, 06:28 PM
    No real raccoons... or at least one... neighbor saw it earlier, about a half hour before I heard it tearing through the garage eves and see where it pullled out a big chunk of insulation when it did it. Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning... they can do a lot of damage.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2014, 06:31 PM
    so the NSA is employing raccoons now, devilishly cleaver that NSA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Morning after pill, a little worried after reading around the internet [ 7 Answers ]

OK,me and my friend (who I know a long time) had sex. After we finished, we noticed the condom was empty! :( I took the morning after pill today, which is about 40 hours since we had sex, as I couldn't get to a doctor on a Sunday so it had to be today (this is in a country where you need a...

Worried.Birth control [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I have been on birth control for 2 months. Then I changed to the generic which my doctor said I could take just like the other pill and it will still be as effective. Five days after I started the generic brand me and my boyfriend didn't have sex but did sexual activies. He ejaculated on my...

View more questions Search