Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amalawad22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2014, 01:09 AM
    15 year lease
    I bought a commercial building from a bank was foreclosed on in IL , one talent have lease for 15 years ,bank said never supply a lease, but he sent $700 check every month, when I took over he gave me copy, 15 years, no increase in rent or tax, he have the right to sub lease or re sing it with out the consent of the land lord , the lease was singed 11 days before recording of a deed ,average rent is $ 1500, what to do
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 02:54 AM
    1. You should have verified any lease prior to purchase? Who was the lease signed by ? The back ? Since they foreclosed, the foreclosure would void most leases from the prior owner.

If they bank signed the lease, and did not disclose this. It may be grounds to void the sale.

I would start with local real estate attorney, to notify them, that the lease is not binding, and see what happens.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 2, 2014, 12:00 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck.

Amalawadd22's post is difficult to decipher, but it appears that he or she purchased a commercial property from the bank which had foreclosed the mortgage and acquired it in the foreclosure sale. The tenant did not have a recorded lease, but did have an unrecorded one, signed by the previous owner 11 days prior to the foreclosure sale.

As Fr_Chuck notes, OP may have been on "inquiry notice", requiring him or her to at least ask, at that time OP bought the place, about the status of the occupant.

It does not appear that the lease survives the foreclosure. OP should give the occupant whatever written notice is required (note: the notice period for residential notices to quit is often 30 days, but it may be different for commercial rentals), and then sue for eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a lease 5 year lease automatically be renewed for five more years [ 2 Answers ]

Can a lease 5 year lease automatically be renewed for five more years I have had the lease for 7 years

My landlord renewed our lease for the 4th year by emailing me a lease agreement [ 5 Answers ]

The renewed agreement contained her esignature, I signed it and sent it back. 2 months later she says the agreement isn't valid, she never received it and gave me 30 days to vacate so she can move in. can she do this? I've lived here 4 years

How do I break a lease with a tenant with a two year lease and reclaim my home? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a home in Texas that I rented out to a tenant that has a two year lease so I could move to Florida to help my brother get over the death of his wife. It has been one year and my brother is ready to get on with his life now. Unfortunately, with the Florida economy being so bad my business here...

We have a year lease and the landlord is in foeclosure can we break the lease and mov [ 2 Answers ]

We have a year lease and it is not up till April but now the landlord is in foreclosure can we move . We where going to move any way because of plumming problems can we do it with out breaking the lease ?

View more questions Search