Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TKH329 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2014, 10:59 AM
    Bankruptcy and divorce in Oklahoma
    My husband and I filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy two years ago. Now, we are in the middle of a divorce proceeding. Just this week, I have been granted temporary custody and child support of our three children. HOWEVER, the judge has stated that he will not rule on any debt or property division in this case. I cannot stay tied to this man for three more years to finish out our chapter 13 plan. My attorney recommends that I separate our case and file Chapter 7 on my own. My question is -- will this enable my case to proceed in court faster? If my ex decides to remain in the Chapter 13 and adjust his plan, can we still finalize our divorce or do we need the permission of the bankruptcy court? How do we get that? The only property I want out of everything is the home we live in (which is exempted in our state). Or do we need to reach an agreement for the court to rule?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 12, 2014, 07:08 AM
    What does your bankruptcy attorney say? Is this attorney also representing you in the divorce?

Your divorce attorney would be in a better position than any of us to answer your question regarding whether your converting to Chapter 7 would expedite the property division in the divorce. It very well may, as normally the Chapter 7 will be concluded in six months or so.

It doesn't appear that property division in the divorce needs permission from the bankruptcy court, but as I say, your bankruptcy attorney would have a better answer on that than we would.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oklahoma bankruptcy court [ 3 Answers ]

Were do I get my discharge bankruptcy papers >Email Address Removed<

Can a 16 year old "divorce" her mother in Oklahoma? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Tx. My 16 year old daughter has been having problems with her mother for many years and has expressed interest in severing all ties to her. The situation is difficult, as my 16 year old is living with her step-dad, or was her step-dad for many years. Recently her mother divorced him,...

Divorce then bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I live in ny state,my wife wants her name off the mortgage,then get a divorce,then she wants to file bankruptcy.what will happen? Thanks.

Divorce in Oklahoma [ 2 Answers ]

Husband filed Divorce papers, his attorney did the standard divorce, husband with legal custody, me paying child support, helping with medical insurance, and certain visitation times and places. If I do not show up for the court hearing, what would happen? This Divorce will take place in...

View more questions Search