Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Apr 30, 2014, 11:07 PM
    Your opinion - first vehicle for teen driver - she wants a truck
    My daughter is very excited about soon being able to drive and I am looking at vehicles. Too bad I can't get a '72 Toyota Carina Deluxe for $550, like I did back when I was 16. Anyway, she wants a truck, from her limited experience driving. I want something safe, good gas mileage, reliable, long lasting, reasonable insurance... thinking Toyota Tacoma - older, around $5,000 - $6,000. I live in SW AZ - for pricing considerations.

I know how to KBB for reasonable prices, just asking for other suggestions that might be good choices for the situation. She will be paying most, if not all of the price of the vehicle (over time, as a loan) as well as insurance. I will take out a loan in my name, for about half, pay the other half up front. Private party, loan through credit union. Example vehicle: 2004 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 150,000 miles - no frills. Owner asking ~$6,000

Other suggestions/input welcome
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 1, 2014, 01:00 PM
    If your looking for something with mpg then you don't need to be looking at a truck. Is there some reason that she needs a truck? If not you might be better off getting her into a car. Trucks drive different then cars do and they react different given the driving situations. A car would be more consistent on the road under most conditions. Would she be willing to drive a car?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2014, 01:14 PM
    When I think of trucks and teenagers I picture friends riding in the bed, which can be very hazardous. (AZ apparently has no law against that, which makes it worse)
    What is her reasoning for wanting a truck? Traction on wet roads is a factor with empty pickups.
    I haul weight in the back of mine to provide some traction and mileage suffers of course.
    Talk her into a small car with all the latest safety features, at least all that can fit the budget.
    The bottom line is that all that matters is her safety.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 1, 2014, 01:25 PM
    6K sounds like a lot for that car from a private party.
    NEVER pay blue book! They rarely are what cars actually sell for.

I would get safety ratings for certain cars for the last 12 years, that being number one for a teen driver. Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Chevy, Ford... She needs to think about mileage since I assume that you won't be paying for gas.
    But a lot of this will be limited to what's out there, unless you are willing to do this for months. So keep an open mind.
    bluepersonality Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

May 1, 2014, 02:24 PM
    Well I was going to say a truck isn't such a good idea in the winter time, but I doubt that is too much of a worry there. (Reason being is the weight ratio). Most of the time we tell our customers to look for something like a Honda accord or a Toyota camry. These cars hold their value for a long time for a good reason, they are reliable and they get excellent gas mileage. Avoid going for things like Volkswagons & foreign models of the like if money is an issue, because a lot of times the parts for these cars are much more expensive, not to mention the oil, if the vehicle takes synthetic oil, you could be looking at an about $60-$70 difference every time you need an oil change. Ford focus is another great car & Chryslers tend to last a long time as well. If you trust your mechanic, call them up, more than likely they would be willing to look at a used car with you and help you decide. We do that a lot for our customers, and while we can't tell them a whole lot about the car without a spendy thorough looksee, we can tell them about cars we know stay on the road longest, cheapest to fix models & listen & feel for any problems that the vehicle may have. Just last month we saved a customer from buying a car that had a knocking sound, meaning the motor was about to need a very expensive repair. Teach your child about the importance of regular maintenance to have a reliable long-lasting vehicle. Good Luck
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2014, 02:26 PM
    I don't like the truck idea. Kids in the back is a huge hazard. They also are more prone to roll. In slippery roads, they can fishtail from lack of weight in the back. Gas mileage sucks. Is get her a small car and choose something that is not an embarrassment to drive, but not a fashion accessory either. Make the point this is for practicality, economics and safety. It is not a toy and not for impressing her friends. I would choose a Honda or Toyota - smaller, reliable, manageable car with good fuel efficiency.
    bigfatruss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Why Yes a Truck is a awesome first time Vehicle for a teen driver. They can load more in it when it time to move out
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 6, 2014, 02:13 AM
    One thing not mentioned regarding teen drivers: INSURANCE RATES. If you get her a truck, make sure it is 2 wheel drive. That one option will save you half a grand a year. Whatever she drives, be prepared for up to 5 years of tripled premiums.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an unlicensed driver obtain coverage on a vehicle in the State of Washington [ 1 Answers ]

Having loaned a leased vehicle to my son and at the time he was licensed but now has left my area and his license has bee suspended (per notification sent ), his license have been revoked due to outstanding fines on his record... will the Insurance cover if something should happen during this...

Uninsured driver driving insured vehicle gets rear ended [ 10 Answers ]

My husbands insurance was 6 hours away from going into effect. He was driving my Mother's car with her permission, and it is insured. He was rear ended by a lady who was texting on her phone. What is his recourse, and will he be in trouble legally since his insurance hadn't gone into effect yet? Or...

Allowing ulicensed driver to operate my vehicle? [ 10 Answers ]

I gave my (now ex) boyfriend permission to drive my car to mcdonalds and back. A quick trip because I was very hungry and he told me I did not have time to stop before I made an appetizer for his sister's baby shower. But he does not have a license. He did not get caught.. in the act. He came home...

Teen looking for your opinion on weight loss [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, I have 79 more days of summer to lose weight. I need to know the following Okay, my target areas are my stomach, my thighs, and my butt Do you think walking 1 mile 3 days a week and no eating sugar will cut it off? Please if there's anythuing you think I could do I wan the best...

View more questions Search