Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taggart123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2014, 12:36 PM
    I am representitive payee for minors SSDI check, can bank use it to satisfy an OD
    In my own personal account that is in my name only? If they do, how would I recover the payment amount?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2014, 12:41 PM
    If those funds were comingled... yes they can. Its not a garnishment...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2014, 01:09 PM
    Once funds are deposited in an account they are commingled. They lose any protection as exempt sources.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2014, 02:05 PM
    That and the fact this is money owed for overdraft protection... basically what would have been bounced check fees on that account to that bank.. are not exempted under any law or regulation no matter what the source. Its not a judgement and its not a garnishment.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2014, 02:47 PM
    Incidentally... I know this for a fact... my wife has worked in banking for 17 years so far. If you owe the bank for any fees related to that account... they can, do, and will simply take them as soon as any deposit posts. Ahead of any and all checks written against the account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Representitive Payee question (NC, USA) [ 4 Answers ]

I was the representative payee for my FIL's social security checks for the past 2 and a half years. Due to concerns about his health he's agreed to move in with another family member who can be there for him more often, so that person will become his new representative payee. My question is this:...

Ssdi for non custodial dependent minors? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on ssdi, and receive a check for my 15 YO daughter. My daughter recently moved in with her father, and I lost primary custodial rights. Can I still receive the dependent's SSDI check, or does it go to the custodial father?

Garnish bank account to satisfy judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help please. I have a monetary judgement against my ex-husband. It was issued by a Colorado court, where we lived. My ex has moved to Arizona. He banks at US Bank which is nationwide. Can I take my judgement to a local bank in Colorado and seize the funds in his account? If not,...

SSDI and Bank Levy, Garnishment, etc [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all about the Social Security being "untouchable" by levy or garnishment. I have heard that when the money comes from Social Security and hits your bank account it is "fair game" It is considered income. My questions are many and I am really worried that the CC co. will take action. ...

Levying a Bank Account to Satisfy Judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I won a case in Small Claims (by default, he never showed up) against my previous landlord. It was actually against the property management company. It has been almost 9 months and I have not heard one word from him despite numerous attempts to contact him (voicemails, emails, etc.). I just...

View more questions Search