Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teacher0628 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 04:59 PM
    My bathtub faucet broke, and caused a lot of water damage. Why?
    We discovered water damage on the floor and bathroom wall and found that the water was leaking from a pipe in the shower. Whenever we would pull the latch to switch the water from the faucet to the shower head, it would leak. We called a plumber who changed the faucet and said it was broken, but he didn't tell us how or why. He said that we couldn't have known it was broken. What causes a faucet to break? It was just replaced 2 years ago.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 06:30 PM
    What causes a faucet to break?
    Faucets don't break. At least not in the sense that you mean.

Obviously you had a leak. If that leak only occurred when the shower was used, it would have had to been either where the shower riser pipe (the pipe in the wall up to the shower head) attached to the valve, or where the shower arm (the pipe coming out of the wall) screws into the shower riser pipe. Repair of a leak at either place would not require replacing the valve.

Unfortunately you paid for a new valve you didn't need and the labor to install it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2014, 06:50 AM
    I agree with Harold! I think you were charged for a new shower valve that you didn't need. The problem was not in a shower valve but in the shower riser. I will report plumber to the company that he works for all the city. Give champ the state information that you gave us. The answers that we gave you may help your case. Let me know how you make out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My flat had a few water leaks and it caused damage can I get compensation. [ 5 Answers ]

I have just had 3 leaks in my bedroom and the wall is soaked and now the wallpaper is recked and the paint is peeling of. My landlord is orbit south who have told me the will come and repair the leaks within 7 days but what can I do about the water damage to the wallpaper and paint. I feel they...

Stopped up toilet caused water damage. Will insurance cover [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 year old son stopped up the toilet upstairs. Water leaked through the ceiling causing all kinds of damage. Our insurance is telling us that the damage is not covered. Would we have to have some special insurance to cover this?

Damage caused on car dlrship lot [ 9 Answers ]

I had an incident a while back on a car lot. Basically, damage was caused to a vehicle (for sale) on a car lot by my vehicle. The cause was an improperly maintained/marked off area of black ice. When the damage occurred, the staff said themselves that this was the third time this happened in the...

Bathtub leaking a lot of water [ 1 Answers ]

:D the water in the bath tub leaks too much what should I do to solve this problem

View more questions Search