Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janielmaxwell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 04:40 PM
    The difference in Joint tenants with right of survivorship or tenants in common
    On a warranty deed that reads Joint Tenants with right of survivorship, what is the difference with Tenants in common?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 04:44 PM
    With right of survivorship if one party dies... the other inherits their part of the proprety. With tenants in common you don't and their heirs would get it via will or probate... meaning they could force a partition sale against your wishes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2014, 04:52 AM
    As noted, if one joint tenant dies, their share goes to the other joint tenant outside of the estate. With In common, their share goes to their estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"as joint tenants with right of survivorship" Florida [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I own a house and we were told that if something happen to either of us the house will go into probate because its missing the "as joint tenananst with right of survivorship" on the deed. Is this accurate? Should we change the deed? Thanks

Can a joint tenant on a mortgage allow a man to live with other joint tenants? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter and husband have a joint tenancy mortgage/deed with my exhusband. My daughter has made $76,000 worth of mortgage payments while living in the home with her husband and child. Recently she became ill and unemployed. The house was on the market for many months with no offers, and the...

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

Tenants in common [ 1 Answers ]

My sister and I are Tenants in Common via a gift from our mother. The property is paid for in full and has no home equity loans. I have an outstanding credit rating(800s). However, My sister has over extended herself and now creditors are threating liens and or judgements. My sister feels that...

View more questions Search