Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angyhooker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 04:29 PM
    Worms
    Hello I'm angy and I have a question about my puppy rubbing his butt on the ground. I have always heard that you can look at the poop and see if it has worms in it, don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, he doesn't have any worms in it.. please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you very much.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 04:51 PM
    You could also take the puppy to the vet. Where they could examine the stool under a microscope as they know what they are looking for.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 04:56 PM
    Not all worms are seen in feces. Dogs pick up worms very easily. My dogs are mainly indoors, in the suburbs, and they're put on de-wormer every year.

Talk to your vet about this.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2014, 05:05 PM
    Some types of worms can be seen just by looking, others can not. It is also possible that his anal glands may need to be expressed. One of my dogs does the occasional butt rub and he has the glands expressed every time he goes to the groomers.

See the vet as smoothy suggested for a worm check... take a fresh sample in with you if possible, although they can get some if necessary. They can also show you how to express his glands every now and then, or you can just have the vet or groomer (if he goes to one) do it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 05:12 PM
    I agree with Doula. It could be that he has impacted anal glands. My lab had that issue constantly. I learned to express them myself, because it was so constant. Not a pleasant task, but doable. Invest in gloves, and a mask if you're going to do it yourself, and hope your gag reflex isn't bad. It's nasty business.

Your vet will express the anal glands, usually for a very low cost. Groomers I wouldn't trust as much as the vet. Most groomers only know how to cut fur, they aren't vets. If expressed wrong, you can cause more damage to your pet. So make sure you trust whoever does it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worms [ 3 Answers ]

How do you get rid of tiny worms - I've been told they are Portuguese worms from my house they are all over the window sills thank you

Can of worms! [ 985 Answers ]

All right, I might be opening up a giant can of worms here! I thought this could be somewhere to come when you just need to vent about anything! I'll start it off by talking about the companies where you pay for their service, but if you need them to come and repair something that is generally...

Web worms (bag worms) everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor's tree is full of web worms, I think they are also called bag worms. These fuzzy little worms, they're caterpillars really, drop onto my deck and are eating everything in sight. They don't make the web-like encasements, but they are killing my potted plants; mandevilla, vinca, mint,...

Worms [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter needs to know if worms are reptiles. I have no clue, so if anyone could shed some light on the subject, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time. :)

Worms [ 3 Answers ]

This is my first dog... I let her out her cage tonight and when she pooped, her poop had worms in it... where did it come from and I don't know I'm just grossed out... im taking her to the vet tomorrow... help!do anyone have any information?

View more questions Search