Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cs7821 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2014, 04:06 PM
    Converting Shower/Tub combo to walk-in shower
    We want to remove our tub and just make this a walk-in shower, what is the most economical way to get this done?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2014, 04:11 PM
    I did this not long ago. The contractor had to break up the tub to get it out of the bathroom. Not something we could have done on our own. We now have a beautiful bathroom with an all glass corner shower.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 2, 2014, 10:16 AM
    what is the most economical way to get this done
    The most economical way to get this done would be to remove the bathtub and then install a prefabricated tub conversion shower base...see image below. This base is 5 feet long and swaps out with a "footprint" that almost always matches that of the old tub...;)

In most cases, the tile (if present) only needs to be removed up a foot or two off the tub and then the shower base installed and the wall retiled to mate up with the old tile.

Any questions, let me know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting tub/shower to walk in shower [ 24 Answers ]

What do you think is the most inexpensive way to convert our tub to a walk in shower? The opening is 77" (a bench is at the end of a standard size tub). I know I have to break up the porcelain tub. I also need new shower fixtures for the old leakey American Standard faucet. It's for a lake...

Converting a bath tub to a walk in shower [ 13 Answers ]

Removed tub have a slab floor how high do I build up for the shower pan?also want to do a glass block wall only framing 2 sides is this OK to do? What height should the drain be from the slab?

Convert shower/tub to walk-in shower in a condo [ 12 Answers ]

I would like to convert my tub to a walk-in shower and intall a small shower in the powder Room that shares the same wall as the existing shower/tub. I need to know if I can plumb This using the same shared vent that the sinks and tub are using? I haven't removed the Tub yet but the plumbing...

Converting tub/shower to walk in shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have removed the one piece fiberglass tub/shower and ordered a swanstone retrofit shower floor. My question is about the drain and overflow setup from the tub. What do I do with that? Do I cut back to where they are connected to the drain pipe? I have read that where this T comes up to 2- 1 1/2"...

View more questions Search