Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mugs62 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2014, 04:01 PM
    I just rented a house, paid deposit and 1st mo rent, htr/ac/water/bath not wkng
    I just moved in and found that my ac/htr don't work, plumbing doesn't work, cannot take a bath/shower, water heater doesn't work, gas man turned on gas but refused to turn on water heater as not sure if water is going into tank. I have 3 small children and am pregnant, I cannot be without these things. What if I need to go to a hotel, is landlord liable for my expense?I have let them know the problems but I don't know how long these repairs are going to take. It's been one day now with no response from landlord or any repairs attempted.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 04:24 PM
    Do you have a lease? How did you contact the landlord?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 23, 2014, 04:26 PM
    It sounds like your water isn't on! It's easy, so can you ask a neighbor?
    The landlord may have turned off the AC and heat circuits because it's the end of April, so that's not vital for now.
    What state is this? How did you notify the landlord?
    It really doesn't sound like a need for 'repairs.'

Apr 23, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It sounds like your water isn't on! It's easy, so can you ask a neighbor?
    The landlord may have turned off the AC and heat circuits because it's the end of April, so that's not vital for now.
    What state is this? How did you notify the landlord?
    It really doesn't sound like a need for 'repairs.'
    Ok, all breakers are on. The water is on and works in all areas but the tub and shower and possibly water heater. There is a major water leak under sink and it is soaked. We are in Calif. And do need the ac now as we get up to 96 degrees. I contacted by phone .

Apr 23, 2014, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Do you have a lease? How did you contact the landlord?
    We do have a lease, I contacted by phone so far, and we are in California.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 23, 2014, 04:41 PM
    In the morning, call 2 plumbers to look at the situation.
    Call the landlord again in the morning too, and say that you have called 2 plumbers and are about to call the Health Dept. and Building Inspector.

(Is AC mentioned in the lease?)

Apr 23, 2014, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    In the morning, call 2 plumbers to look at the situation.
    Call the landlord again in the morning too, and say that you have called 2 plumbers and are about to call the Health Dept. and Building Inspector.

(Is AC mentioned in the lease?)
    Yes, ac is mentioned. Thank you for your advice, it sounds like the way to go.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2014, 05:19 AM
    Here is a guide put out by the state that goes through your rights, the landlords responsibilities and how to obtain services. You need to follow the procedures for getting repairs as exactly as you can.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moved in May 1st, paid rent via check. Roommate wants me out. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I live in New York City and moved into a renter's apartment on April 30th. I paid her for the month and she cashed the check. We agreed I would stay with her until July 1st. Now, after I have paid moving costs and paid her rent (my check to her even states "May Rent"), she has...

House I rented was sold, who am I supposed to get my security deposit from? [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a house and paid 500 dollars for a security deposit. The house was sold. But we didn't have to put down another deposit with the new owners. The previous owners never transferred the security deposit to the new owners or to me. Who is supposed to give me my money back. And can I sue them?

Paid deposit +1month rent [ 3 Answers ]

If we have signed a contract for a property to be let to us through an estate agent and we have paid a deposit and 1months rent in advance and a copy of the contract has been sent to the landlord although we do not know if they have signed it, can the landlord pull out with no valid reason? And do...

Security Deposit & Pre-Paid Rent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone: I am new to this site & need some advice & thought this would be a great avenue. Here is my dilemma: I had been renting a condo in PA (I live in TX) for almost a year. Since I have not been able to use the unit since March, I was looking to sub-let it. I informed the owner,...

View more questions Search