Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    battoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2014, 05:52 PM
    No caulk shower drain compression gasket too high
    Hey everyone,

My wife and I moved into an older home and have been wanting to renovate for a while. We decided to begin this spring with our daughter's bathroom. Took out the old tub and are trying to replace it with a shower.

We got a plumber to come out and re-do the hot/cold pipes and raise them in height. He also moved the p-trap assembly slightly to fit exactly in the middle of our pre-sloped shower pan we purchased through Home Depot.

We ran into a problem trying to get the no-caulk drain to assemble. Due to my mistake and not understanding how the drain works, I pushed the compression nut around the PVC pipe way far down to where it became inaccessible. Instead of cutting it out and buying a new drain, we cut out the top portion of the PVC pipe by about 1/8th of an inch :(

Now that we know how each of the drain parts go, the rubber gasket/compression gasket is too short and doesn't go flush against the top of the PVC pipe. About 1 ring of the gasket sticks above the PVC pipe. As such, when compressing it, a big portion of it protrudes out into the pipe. Not enough to block the pipe, but it protrudes nonetheless.

Our question is, is it safe to leave the assembly as is? Should we cut a ring from the bottom of the compression gasket to have it sit flush with the PVC pipe?

At this point the shower pan has already been laid on top of thinset and it has dried off. I would rather not have to go to our first floor and cut a hole through the ceiling just to re-create the PVC pipe length.

Looking for any alternatives or suggestions.

Thank you.
    battoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2014, 12:50 PM
    I suppose the best way to tell is DIY.

We will apply some silicone around the locking nut and where the rubber gasket seals with the PVC pipe. Once enough time passes, we'll plug the drain and flood the area and see if the amount of water decreases on the surface. If it does, at least the leak will be controlled and we will have an answer.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2014, 04:15 PM
    Hi Battoo

I was thinking the same thing. I'd forgo the silicone though and fill the pan to the top...leave plugged for awhile or even overnight and see if a leaker shows up on ceiling below. If there is a stain, big deal, you were going to have to open the ceiling anyway...if not, a win/win for you!

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an Oatey ABS No-caulk shower base drain be used with a copper drain pipe? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a free standing Spartan shower with an inexpensive Swanstone free standing shower. The Swanstone comes with an Oatey ABS drain. My question is: can this plastic drain be used with my copper drain pipe? The pipe is extending up over the cement floor by an inch. I believe that I must...

No Caulk Shower Drain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a second floor shower drain that is leaking. I have cut a hole in the ceiling downstairs to expose the drain. I went to Home Depot and purchased a new drain primarily to get the no caulk tool to loosen the top ring. I cannot remove the existing brass drain as I cannot loosen the bottom...

Caulk that does not disolve in shower drain [ 6 Answers ]

I used DAP Kwik Seal Plus caulk in the floor of my shower drain. We took about 4 showers and caulk is gone and it leaks into our first floor. What caulk should I use that will stay even when taking showers?

No caulk shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaking upstairs shower. I have cut out a section of the drywall and have Access to the trap and drain. The stub coming from the trap to the drain moves Inside the no caulk drain. I am not sure how much of the stub should be inside the drain And if the top of the stub should be...

No-Caulk Shower Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am remodeling a bathroom with a shower (no tub). I have replaced the leaking 2" trap and I am getting ready to install a new marble shower receptor. I purchased a Jones Plumbest 2" D40-140 no-caulk brass drain fitting that comes with a compression gasket for the riser pipe, and 2...

View more questions Search