Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SMP512 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2014, 03:44 PM
    Any ideas of what the strange humming noise in my house could be?
    Northern California, Central Valley, Manteca, CA

Hi all,
    My husband & I have recently moved into a new home in Manteca, CA. In early March 2014 I noticed there was a strange humming noise heard directly at the center of the house. The noise is very low & easily unnoticed. The humming sound is best heard when standing in our short hallway & its peak is at the corner wall between the formal living & front foyer. I tried to figure out where the noise could be coming from & couldn't. The next evening, over dinner, I shared my newlyfound dilema with my husband & he said he had also noticed it the day before, although he a) never heard it before & b) couldn't trace its origin.
    I have taking notes & the humming noise has a varied schedule. During the week (M-F), it turns on between 9-10AM & shuts off between 6-7PM. It has never turned on during the weekends (Sat or Sun), except TODAY 4/20. This is what prompted me to finally do some online searching. I am baffled & VERY annoyed.
    When we first purchased the home our Home Inspector went up to the attic (which, I theroize, is where the noise is coming from) so I am reaching out to him for further leads. Has anyone else tried contacting the utility company & actually finding it beneficial? If so, I may try that next. Any insight here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading,
    SMP
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2014, 05:02 PM
    Radon pump? But not usually on a timer.
    Attic exhaust fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise coming from house [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have noticed a humming noise coming from our home. We have noticed the noise louder as time is passing by. How I can explain the noise is as if a vehicle is running and you have that low pitch noise from the engine running in the background. This is irritating but more bothersome...

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Previous question was closed I live in Birmingham in England and we have the same problem here. I have heard the on/off hum in three different homes in this area and also in a house in Gloucestershire. Only inside never outside not even at 05.00 when its dead quiet. There are no overhead power...

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Humming Noise in House [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been searching on Internet for some answers to the new "humming, pulsating sound that has begun to plague my house and cause me countless sleepless nights for the past three to four months. Like some of the other responders, I have turned all the power off to the house to see if that is...

Strange Humming in House [ 2 Answers ]

70stang - I have this same humming sound in my home. I hear it at night when I go to bed but I do not hear in the morning or during the day. I live in a rural location far away from any industrial or mechanical area. I have gone to different rooms and the sound is there. At first I thought it might...

View more questions Search