Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joeanne1951 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2014, 09:37 AM
    How do I get my 6 month old dog to start eating after being spayed
    My pup is 6 months old z tzu pup and had been spayed and hasn't eaten going on the second day
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2014, 09:43 AM
    When its hungery it will eat.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 18, 2014, 10:30 AM
    Smoothy is correct. I dog will not starve itself. She will eat when she gets hungry enough, but start to worry when she stops drinking water.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 18, 2014, 11:03 AM
    If she is still on pain medication, it can affect her appetite. Is she drinking and peeing?

You can try tempting her to eat by slightly warming her food to release more scent or adding a little water. However, do not give in to giving her treats instead of her food.

At this point, keep an eye on her incision and follow the directions the vet gave for her. There should be instructions on what to expect and when you should call the vet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 18, 2014, 04:06 PM
    I agree with Cat. Pain meds can cause a dog to lose their appetite. A spay is a major surgery, and I commend you for doing it.

I'd try rice and chicken. Cook the rice, remove the skin on the chicken, and cook thoroughly. That's usually tempting enough for a dog, and very healthy. Actually much healthier than any dog food on the market.

If that doesn't work, try chicken broth. Try chicken broth on the rice, or on bread.

If she's not eating, that's not good. Contact your vet.

Is she defecating at all? In other words, has she pooed? Is she pooing regularly? What are you laying out for her to eat?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2014, 07:10 AM
    Sometimes anesthesia can make a dog feel nauseous. You need to speak with your vet about this. They need to know why so for future reasons, they can change their anesthetic protocol for your dog. They will also dispense an anti-nausea medication to help your dog eat.

The pain meds can make them go off feed. You should not be giving the pain meds if your dog is not eating.

You can try heating up a bland diet to entice her to eat, but small dogs are stubborn and difficult to get to eat. They can also get low blood sugar quickly, so this is not something you should just wait out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help, had five month old spayed and now pooping and peeing in house? [ 1 Answers ]

Five month old wheaten was spayed ten days ago and is now peeing and pooping in house even if she has been out for thirty min. help?

How old does a female dog have to be to be spayed? [ 2 Answers ]

How old does a female dog have ot be to be spayed? I keep getting different answers, 4 months, 5 months, 6 months, which is it? Does it depend on the vet? Or the dog?

Suddenly 18 month puppy started eating dog poop [ 3 Answers ]

she eats wellness salmon dog food 1/4 c. 2x/day weighs 15lbs she is a.king charles has a brother who is 23 lbs,she has only been getting one walk a day sice I broke my arm 3 weeks ago

Incision Infection in Spayed Dog [ 1 Answers ]

My doxie-terrier pups were spade on Monday and have for the most part been recovering normally. Abby pulled out a couple of stitches Tuesday night, but the vet didn't seem overly concerned about it and assured us that her incision would heal normally. He also gave us Elizabethan collars for both...

Recently spayed dog barely eating.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5 year old dog (pic below) which was spayed almost 6 days ago. She barely drinks or eats anything at all. She just nibbles a few small bites of food and then just leaves it. The dog had a very healthy appetite before this... eating about (2) 16oz cans of food, and a bowl of dry...

View more questions Search