Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2014, 09:33 AM
    Gate
    Neighbour wants to know. The septic tank people told her, she need a gate to access the backyard for the ditch digging machine. But what size gate should she buy. Maybe they use small excavator to dig the trench?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2014, 09:39 AM
    Yes, they may have a small one. They may have a medium size one. They may even need a lift truck in. This is only a question that the sewer company will know. They need to contact the sewer company and ask what size. Also, how does the pump truck get to the septic to clean it out?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2014, 01:35 PM
    Is she having work done on an existing septic system? Has she selected a contractor? Lots of questions about all this.
    For a one time operation, removal and re-installation of enough fencing to access the work would be the standard method.
    If he has already signed a contract, access should have been covered in the contract. If the contractor bid or presented a quote to do the work, how did he plan on getting in there?
    Or as chuck suggested, is a gate needed for periodic access to pump out?
    Maybe there are details you or she left out that explain all this, but sounds a bit screwy to me.
    Contractors temporarily remove and re-install fencing all the time.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2014, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Is she having work done on an existing septic system? Has she selected a contractor? Lots of questions about all this.
    For a one time operation, removal and re-installation of enough fencing to access the work would be the standard method.
    If he has already signed a contract, access should have been covered in the contract. If the contractor bid or presented a quote to do the work, how did he plan on getting in there?
    Or as chuck suggested, is a gate needed for periodic access to pump out?
    Maybe there are details you or she left out that explain all this, but sounds a bit screwy to me.
    Contractors temporarily remove and re-install fencing all the time.
    They told they wouldn't want to take apart her chain link fence. A gate
    Would be more beneficial. It is not the septic tank, it is the drain-field. The machine is like a back hoe is not very big. Perhaps a 36" wide gate would be okay.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2014, 06:37 PM
    I am with smearcase, a gate would be for regular usage. This sounds like they are putting in a whole new fiel which might happen every 50 years.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2014, 08:57 PM
    If it is her responsibility, and she doesn't need a gate ( I think it will need to be more than 3 feet for any backhoe I have seen), she can contact a fencing company and get estimates for a) removing enough fence to give them access and coming back to re-install; and b) installation of a gate. Then take the best option. That assumes that she doesn't need a secure fence 100% of the time for option a. I don't understand why they would tell her she needs a gate and not specify the width they need for their equipment. But that unknown would make it more reasonable to just have a temporary opening available. She wants you to tell her what size gate that her contractor needs? They could have a 10 foot wide (or even wider) CAT backhoe for all you know.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2014, 03:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    If it is her responsibility, and she doesn't need a gate ( I think it will need to be more than 3 feet for any backhoe I have seen), she can contact a fencing company and get estimates for a) removing enough fence to give them access and coming back to re-install; and b) installation of a gate. Then take the best option. That assumes that she doesn't need a secure fence 100% of the time for option a. I don't understand why they would tell her she needs a gate and not specify the width they need for their equipment. But that unknown would make it more reasonable to just have a temporary opening available. She wants you to tell her what size gate that her contractor needs? They could have a 10 foot wide (or even wider) CAT backhoe for all you know.
    Thank you so much
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2014, 03:38 AM
    pastor,

You are a real asset to folks down there. Best wishes to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gate [ 9 Answers ]

We constantly have sewer gas smell in our church. I have filled all the traps that aren't being used and we still encounter this problem! We need help?? SEWER GATE?

Pelosi-gate [ 45 Answers ]

Scooter Libby got hounded by Prosecutor Inspector Javert Patrick Fitgerald for months and was eventually charged and went to jail because he forgot details of conversations with news jockies related to the "outing " of a James Bond wannabe Valerie Plame . After he served some time and his...

Drive way gate [ 1 Answers ]

What is the standard size of a drive way gate?

Gate repair [ 5 Answers ]

I backed into a 15 foot metal gate with wood fencing on the outside. The gate bowed about 2 inches. If I push it from the other angle will it straighten? Any other suggestions? It is made of two inch bars that were welded in place. Thanks for any help

View more questions Search