Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveshriks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2014, 12:41 PM
    Gave Security Deposit without signing lease, will I get it back?
    Me and my wife visited an apartment on 04/13/2014 around 6 p.m. We hold the apartment by giving a $100 check. We agreed to look at the lease and sign it if we find it OK on 04/15/2014. I met landlord (on 04/15 - 7:30 p.m.) but did not sign the lease. Unfortunately (or you can call me dumb) out of goodwill I gave a security deposit cheque for 1.5 months because they came all the way expecting me to sign a lease. I was not expecting them to encash the cheque till they get a signed lease from me but they did on 04/16. We (me and my wife) decided not to take the apartment and informed the landlord on 04/17 - 11:30 a.m. I informed the landlord and he did not seem happy (which I can understand). Can I legally get my deposit back if the landlord decides not to give it back?

Lease is not to start before June 1st and there are still tenants living in the apartment.

Please reply, would really appreciate. Thank you!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 17, 2014, 01:14 PM
    What does goodwill have to do with business transactions?
    You may never get the $100 'hold' back.
    You may not get the 1.5 months back without suing in small claims. Tell them as calmly as possible that they have your $100 for their trouble and that you will sue if necessary for the large amount. Winning includes the filing fee of about $50.
    Now you know. I don't understand handing over either amount. There should be a blank lease form available at the showing, and you decide then and there. In fact most landlords want to do a credit and reference check before signing a lease, and you don't give any money til APPROVED.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2014, 01:15 PM
    Legally, if you did not sign the lease and did not take possession, I doubt if they can hold the deposit. But you might have to sue to get it returned.
    daveshriks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2014, 01:30 PM
    joypulv: Thank you joypulv. I agree, now I know good-will comes back hunting, business should be business I get it now. $100 was taken as a credi check / hold amount. I wrote them in the email that they can keep $100 for the inconvenience and that they should return the security deposit amount. I have the lease that they signed but I did not. I hope I don't have to go the "claims" way, but will surely do what needs to be done.

ScottGem: Thank you Scott. Yes, I have not signed the lease nor have I taken the possession. As I said, I hope not to go the "claims" way. I still don't get it why would they encash the security deposit cheque without having a signed lease in hand?

Will keep the thread updated.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 17, 2014, 03:18 PM
    Who knows why? It seems that he assumed that you wanted the apartment! Did you give him any indication that you weren't sure? Besides... again, you were so willing to hand over lots of money, that it is understandable that he assumed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 17, 2014, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daveshriks View Post
    ... I still don't get it why would they encash the security deposit cheque without having a signed lease in hand?

Because checks are a means of payment. You gave them money, and money should be deposited in a bank at the earliest opportunity. You never told them ot hold it. So why should they?

You indicate that what they did was to "encash" it. I assume this means (and by your spelling of "cheque", I assume you are in the UK rather than the US, where the word would be spelled "check") that they cashed it rather than depositing it, although I'm not sure if it makes any difference.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2014, 05:50 PM
    THe deposit (not a security deposit) in this case more like a please I'll pay this up front so nobody else grabs this unit, is payment you agreed to in order for them to keep the unit off the market until you can sign the lease... you backed out... why do you think you would be entitled to it back?

THat would have normally been creditied against the first months rent.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 17, 2014, 06:07 PM
    I fail to see where the Landlord is damaged, since the apartment is not vacant until June, I doubt that the apartment in that short period April 13-15 was taken off the market.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2014, 06:35 PM
    You probably will get your deposit back in 5-7 business days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I gave my security deposit but can't move in now, can I get it back? [ 3 Answers ]

I ended up giving the owner of a town house a security deposit as it said was required in his ad, I gave it to him early as I was under the assumption, I was going to get my down deposit from my current landlord. Unfortunately because I did not give him 30 days notice he decided not to give me my...

I gave buyer healthy pup, she returned I gave mony back minus deposit is this right [ 15 Answers ]

A buyer brought a health puppy from me, after only 24 hours she asked if she could return puppy as it was unwell, I agreed she could return puppy, buyer then asked for money back, I agreed but said the deposit is non refundable, as I provided her with a health pup, and when pup was returned the...

No Lease Signed can't get back Security Deposit states Rental Office [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the state of Maryland. I applied and put a security deposit down on a two bedroom roommate style apartment. I got approved for the apartment. I and my roommate went to look at the apartment and it was smaller than advertised and the bedroom were side by side. The rental office showed us a...

Getting back apartment reservation deposit before signing lease [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the state of Connecticut. I have given $500 security deposit check to reserve an apartment unit but haven't yet moved in nor have I signed the lease yet. Recently I found out adverse online reviews about that apartment complex having been infested with bed bugs and management not being...

View more questions Search