Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosemarie777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2014, 04:38 PM
    501c3 rules and regulations
    Can a 501c3 organization sell a board member's book in their shop with some money going to the author without the organization losing its 501c3 statis?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2014, 06:12 PM
    Taxes on 501c3 is a specialized niche of the tax field, one that I do NOT deal with.

One of the other experts MAY be able to give you a good answer on this, but I doubt it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 17, 2014, 06:09 AM
    Please clarify what you mean by "some money going to the author." Typically an author is paid a royalty by the publisher, not by the retail shop that sells books to the public. Is there some other arrangement going on here?

Any business transactions involving board members must be at fair market value - in other words if the 501(c)(3) organization buys the books at wholesale from a book publisher or distributor - just as they buy other books they may be selling - then there is really no issue. If they buy directly from the board member or his company then there must be some evidence that it's at fair market value - for example the 501(c)(3) shouldn't be paying a higher price for the books than any other book store does. Otherwise it's known as an "excess benefit transaction," and can cause loss of tax-exempt status. See this IRS web page for more info:
    Intermediate sanctions - excess benefit transactions
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2014, 09:08 AM
    ebaines once again comes through for the forum! Good job!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 17, 2014, 09:50 AM
    Thanks! I've had some experience as finance chair and president of a 501(c)(3) that runs a multi-million dollar budget, and have occasionally had to dig into these types of issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501c3 Rules and Regulations [ 3 Answers ]

How often does a 501c3 have to be audited?

501c3 Rules and Regulations [ 9 Answers ]

Since contributions to a volunteer fire dept. are a form of public funding, shouldn't the VFD have to account for those funds and their expenditures, as well as the status of all accounts they have when they turn in an annual budget request to the Emergency Service District that is their primary...

501C3 Rules and Regulations [ 1 Answers ]

I belong to a 501c3 organization (Model Railroad Museum). We often receive gifts of model railroad equipment of which we use some and sell some at Train Shows. Do we have to pay Minnesota Sales Tax on what we sell? Also do we pay sales tax on shirts, etc that we sell in our Train Museum Store?

501C3 rules and regulations [ 8 Answers ]

I have gone through pages upon pages of IRS docs and haven't found my answer so before my head explodes, I thought I would try here to hopefully get pointed in the right direction. I am the Captain of a 501C3 volunteer unit in our county that on occasion, assists law enforcement or fire as...

501c3 rules and regulations [ 2 Answers ]

Is it illegal or not in compliance of 501c3 for a Pastor to pay the bills of the church?

View more questions Search