Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needinghelp49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Shake rattle and roll
    My 2 yr old zu is terrified of storms , and this is storm season in my area, he keeps me up all night long just shivering and puffing because he is so scared, it's the thunder that really scares him.. help... :rolleyes:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 06:25 AM
    This is less of a problem if the dog has a strong leader that stays calm. If you aren't giving the dog strong leadership or are frightened yourself, it will be tough. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

One suggestion I have seen is to play a recording of the thunder starting at a low volume and work up. If it is severe enough, you may talk to the vet about drugs. Not my first choice, but perhaps best in some cases.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 4, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Hey Needing-every spring I would run out of Ace Promazine tablets in the pharmacy of the clinic I worked for! Why? Because they work, not habit forming, cheap and the only "side-effec"t is the anti-nausea and drowsiness it causes. I call that a bonus. Call your vet and get a supply. You give them 30 minutes to 1 hour prior to storm (if you know its coming). The effects last from 4-6 hours. Some dogs get red droopy eyelids and some act slightly drunk but it is a lot better than being anxious and scared. FYI, the animal is reacting to the barometric pressure change before the storm and usually has nothing to do with how you are acting. It also is not something that will go away-always have the Ace on hand to help your dog through it!
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Don't let anybody kid you, your emotions has a tremendous effect on your dog in any situation. Perhaps the owners were taking the Promazine too.

Apr 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
    50% of the time, pets are alone when the anxiety happens. An unpredicted storm will come up when the owners are at work. The owners and the clinic have gone through years together keeping these pets secure. Owner would race home to give them the meds only to find various states of disaster in their home. What do you think they did, call the answering machine and tell them to get started freaking out, I'll be there in a minute??
    Yes, pets can sense emotions but also the phenomenons of nature that humankind cannot help or sense themselves. I can recall a German Shorthair champion hunting dog who you could predict weather with-4 HOURS before the weather happened...
    There usually is more than one correct answer to every question.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Actually I have to agree with both of you, labman & mrsc.

I was told by two different vets it is a combination of your emotions and the change in the barometric pressure that creates the anxiety. I had to deal with this myself with my wimpy pit. Never, ever had a problem with thunderstorms until one day, I was out grocery shopping. We experienced one of the worst thunderstorms that season on that day. I came home after the storm to a shivering, shaking, drooling mess of a dog. When I spoke to a couple of vets I work with about the sudden change, I was told by one it was probably because she was alone, the noise was very severe, and the pressure change was very great. The other told me that it was probably due to that, but that in most cases he deals with it is due to the owner's own nervousness, which the dog picks up on. I guess the bottom line is, each case/cause is different, depending on the people, the dog, and the situation. Since that day, I have to give her something to calm her prior to a storm. And, there is no question that I am the alpha and I am not nervous about the storms.

Needing could probably benefit from reestablishing her alpha position as you suggest labman. If her dog's reaction doesn't improve or is just very severe, meds would probably aid her in getting her zhu into a calmer state.
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscoltweaver
    snip...
    There usually is more than one correct answer to every question.
    If so, why are you so insistent the owners emotions aren't a factor? Once the dog has been exposed to the owner's fears, it will have its own fears with or without the owner around.

Apr 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Most of the time, a owner is REacting to their dogs actions! I worked directly with clients for eleven years on this issue because usually, it's a veterinary clinic that gets called on this issue first. I never discounted an owner's emotions or fears there or here, just followed logic and three veterinarians lead. Besides, the owner didn't say SHE'S scared of thunderstorms nor did she say the dog has done this since birth. Sounds like the behavior of the dog brought out corresponding behavior in owner... show me where exactly that I "insistently" stated emotions are not a factor? Read my posts a little more carefully and feel free to point out any other flaws I may have: I enjoy bettering myself through constructive criticism.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I shake the feeling that she's going to leave me? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 25 and have been dating a young lady for 6 months. We just clicked and we fell in love. Recently, we've talked about moving in together and getting engaged. She says all the right things so why am I paranoid that she's get up one day and leave? I've talked to her regarding my fears and she has...

Monitor shake [ 2 Answers ]

I just noticed that in the upper left hand corner my screen is shaking, I also noticed that as I'm turning the computer off, a bulls eye type image appears in that same corner, is there anything I can do about this? It doesn't seem like the screen is shaking anywhere else, I tried moving the...

Shake IT Shake It Daddio Daddio [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know the name of that song on the old navy stripes commecial. Shake it shake it Daddio Daddio... I can't find it anywhere... Does anyone know??

Hands that shake/tremble [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my hands have started to tremble. Do you know what causes this? Thanks for your help.

Selecting Blendolini Causes Choco-Banana Shake Hang! [ 2 Answers ]

Does any one have a copy of Microsoft Technical document Q157668? A friend of mine said it was 'pulled' after it made Microsoft look a laughing stock! I've tried contacting them about it,but they say it's no longer available.I wonder why? Best wishes, Nez.:D

View more questions Search