Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Apr 16, 2014, 09:32 AM
    Windows 8.1 how do I close the search screen?
    Just got a new computer. Trying to master updating from Windows XP to Windows 8.1 Not a techy-type and really stupidly stuck. Please somebody help!

From the Start menu (I hit in lower left corner of my desktop the Start icon and then type in whatever I want to search and at top right of screen a search box automatically appears) I hit enter to search and then results pop up. I can scroll down the choices of various results. But how do I close out that search screen? There is no 'X' in the top right corner. I did see what looked like a 'back' arrow right to the left of the top left block that reads "Results' but if I click on that all it does is makes that arrow disappear and I am still stuck on the search results screen with no way to make it go away.

I do not have touchscreen.

Someone suggested I rest cursor at top of screen and a bar will drop down with the 'X' but mine won't do that. The cursor 'arrow' just changes to a 'hand' and I get no bar or 'X' to drop down.

I moved cursor to lower left and got my desktop back up but now the search screen appears in a split screen on one side and my desktop on the other side. All I have been able to do is slide the sides of the search screen to make it a narrow window to the side of my desktop but it is still there and still open. It's like it is pinned in place.

I tried clicking on the start icon again and it goes to start screen but when I go to desktop the search screen is still there
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2014, 09:59 AM
    Try press Alt+F4 to close a window. Or you can press the Windows button on your keyboard.
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Try press Alt+F4 to close a window. Or you can press the Windows button on your keyboard.

he heh you thought I was smart enough to know what the Windows button was!
    But after some research (yes, I am that non-techy) I found it and simply hitting that button worked beautifully. Thanks much!

For anyone reading this thread, the windows button is the little button on keyboard that looks like a 4-pane window...

And I also found out that when I read various short cuts that say push windows + X or windows +C that means that same little 4-pane 'Windows' button and the letter (no '+' sign needed!! )

Happy happy joy joy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2014, 10:30 AM
    The Windows button has been on keyboards at lease since Vista. The 4 pane symbol is the Windows logo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Search of vehicle for following to close [ 1 Answers ]

My son was pulled over for following traffic too closely. The officer asked what drugs he had in the veh and my son said he didn't do drugs. They asked to search the car my son said no. They brought a drug dogs and let it search inside of his car. The came up with a bag from buttons on new...

Browser windows close without warning [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone found the answer to "browser windows close without warning", posted in Oct 03? I am having the same problem with both IE and Mozilla Firefox. I can be in the middle of something online and it closes without warning or I just leave my computer with the browser open and walk away for...

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp

Some windows and programs close right after opening [ 5 Answers ]

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 9:25:44 μμ, on 13/1/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 SP2 (7.00.5346.0005) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe...

View more questions Search