Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breakerbreaker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2014, 06:38 PM
    Looking to purchase house built in 1910 in so cal, house has 2 breaker panel
    I like the house, it's a flip and its nicely done, but I noticed the electrical panel is super small. It only has two breakers.. I obviously would want to spend the money to get this upgraded to a new 200amp panel or 100... what problems could I be facing with this? What would the cost be to upgrade to a larger panel? I've heard and seen online people quoting $1200-1500 for a panel replacement. Is that what I'm looking at spending if I want it redone?

Thanks
    Attached Images

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2014, 06:43 PM
    Complete house rewiring is what you are looking at... Contact several electrical contractors in your area and get quotes for the job... they of course will have to see the house to give one... but with wiring that old... its something that NEEDS done.

Personally I think its going to be significantly more than what you were guessing...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 06:45 PM
    How big is this house and how many receptacles and lights are there? What are those breakers rated for? Do you have or want central AC? Depending on what you say I may be agreeing with smoothy.

Apr 15, 2014, 08:19 PM
    Would complete rewiring be required or just what should be done? I just want to be able to run an AC and be able to wash clothes, etc, and not have the breakers turn off constantly. So if it would require complete rewiring, is that like 3-6k or am I looking at 10k-? Any ball park ranges?

Thanks for your response
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 08:22 PM
    Maybe but we need you to answer the rest of the questions. You probably do not have central AC now and you'd only be able to run a small window unit with what you have. How many rooms and receptacles?

Apr 15, 2014, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    How big is this house and how many receptacles and lights are there? What are those breakers rated for? Do you have or want central AC? Depending on what you say I may be agreeing with smoothy.

Its like 1260 sqft.. sorry, do you mean wall sockets? I'm guessing like 12-15.. Im not sure what they are rated for.. yes exactly, I want to install a AC unit. It doesn't even have a wall heater. No hvac.. there's a heater in the floor, looks like a little fireplace. So would need to tackle the electricity, then windows and then hvac.

Apr 15, 2014, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Maybe but we need you to answer the rest of the questions. You probably do not have central AC now and you'd only be able to run a small window unit with what you have. How many rooms and receptacles?
    2 rooms, bathroom. Living room, den and kitchen. I'm guessing 12-15

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CAN I putting a lugs SUB -PANEL box 125 amp breaker in a 200 amp main house to feed [ 1 Answers ]

CAN I putting a lugs SUB -PANEL 125 amp breaker in a 200 amp main house to feed the sub-box

Purchase house for $25 the house value is $22 what is the adjust entries [ 0 Answers ]

During the prior fiscal year, Nina corp signed a long-term noncancellable purchase commitment with its primary supplier to purchase $25 of raw materials. Nina Paid $25 to axquire the raw materials when the raw materials wer only worth $22. Assume that the purchase commitment was properly...

How I know if my house use a single-phase or triple phase electric panel breaker? [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to buy the "plug and save", but I do not know what kind of phase panel I do have... how can I check what is the one I have? Thanks!

Venting bathroom 1910 house diagonal studs [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1910 house and am converting a pantry to a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink only). The walls are 12 feet tall and are sitting on 8" X 8" timbers as foundation. Some walls have diagonal studs along with the vertical and make it's impossible for me to direct a 2" pipe through them, up to the...

House Plans needed for house built in 1978. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I Have been looking for plans for my house. I have exhausted all of the resources given to me. I am not able to find plan books from back then though. The original owner/builder doesn't have them anymore. No one has a copy anymore, they have all been recycled. It has 2 bedrooms and 1...

View more questions Search