Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tramaine1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2014, 03:33 PM
    Odor from Cleanout
    Hello, I have a 60 year old ranch style home with a full bath upstairs and a 1/2 bath in the basement. About 2 months ago, I suddenly started having issues with my upstairs toilet.

Seems like out of nowhere the upstairs toilet would back up. I was able to snake out the blockage, although I don't recall anything going down the toilet to block it, but got the toilet working. Then about 2 weeks after I noticed water coming from underneath the downstairs toilet after using the upstairs shower. By this time I had contacted a plumber to make a visit. However, the day before the plumber came, I noticed muddy water coming up from the downstairs shower drain and also noticed muddy water in the toilet.

The plumber came and removed the clean out plug/cap from the floor drain and had me to run the downstairs shower and laundry sink for about 30 minutes, there was no sign of anything blocking and water was draining as he could see it flowing down the main pipe. He also snaked the main line from my house to the street and in the midst of snaking I recall him hitting something in the pipe but was not sure what it was. So as he was retrieving the snaking device hose, there were a few tree roots in the clasp, not a lot but just a little more than a handful. Shortly after the plumber left there was an intermittent smell coming up from the floor drain that didn't exist before. The original cap was plastic and he told me that it should be metal, he had one in his truck an placed it on the opening. I thought the smell was something that would soon dissipate, however its been more than 10 days now and I can still smell the odor at times and its seeped into the bedrooms (right above the floor drain) upstairs.

Not sure if the plumber damaged anything with the snaking or if there is another problem. Seeking your assistance.

Thank you.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 05:17 PM
    Hi Tramaine

Is the cap that the plumber replaced in tight...in properly? If you don't know take a flashlight and look. You should see standing water in the floor drain.

If it is not the cap, then next I would have you fill the washing machine without any clothes in it and then drain the washing machine. At the same time as the washer is draining, have somebody flush a toilet a few times. While that all happens YOU watch the floor drain. Does the floor drain BURP or BUBBLE or just sit still?

Let me know...

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 05:48 PM
    If the plumber pulled out tree roots, you have a cracked or busted sewer line. You will continue to periodically have sewer stopages until this is repaired.

Apr 15, 2014, 06:03 PM
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your quick response. I checked the metal cap/plug the plumber put in, it was in place, but not very secure, I was able to remove it with a couple of taps from a hammer (I didn't have the appropriate size wrench to unscrew it). I tried to put in the original cap/plug (plastic) and I was able to screw it in, but it doesn't seem to fit securely either. I was planning on purchasing a new cap from Home Depot/Lowe's. The replacement cap the plumber put in was metal, not sure if I should purchase a metal or plastic cap/plug.

My error, I mistakenly said the floor drain, but its only the clean out area is where the odor is originating from.

Thanks

T

Hi Harold,

I guess what puzzled me on this was after the plumber removed the cap,whatever was causing the backup was loosed. I ran the water for up to 30 minutes, we both were baffled by there being a clog as there was no indicator of any blockage. Snaking the line was a last resort after which we saw the tree roots. I'm perplexed by the now intermittent odor emitting from the what appears to be in the same area of the clean out.

Thanks!

T
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 06:54 PM
    Assuming clean out is in the floor, could odor be coming in between the pipe and the concrete floor. Caulk around the pipe as a test.
    I noticed water coming from underneath the downstairs toilet after using the upstairs shower.
    I noticed muddy water coming up from the downstairs shower drain and also noticed muddy water in the toilet.
    Sound to me like you have a broken sewer line and not only is soil getting into the sewer line, sewage is saturating the ground around the pipe with odor coming out around the clean out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2014, 06:54 PM
    If you are getting an odor at the clean out it is leaking sewer gas which could be related to your backup issue. Is it a screw in plug? You probably need to use teflon tape or dope to seal it. Tree roots usually means long term trouble so consider getting several estimates to replace or reline the pipe. In the meantime try using something like RootX - Foaming Root Killer

Apr 16, 2014, 03:06 PM
    Hi Harold,

Yes the clean out is located in the floor of the basement. I can try what you suggested above. Just want to note once the cap/plug was removed from the clean out there was a slight clog, but after running the downstairs shower, and laundry sink facet there was no evidence of muddy water in either the toilet (after flushing multiple times) or running the shower.

Thanks!

T

Hi Ballengerb1

Thanks for the added advice on the RootX-Foaming Root Killer product. The plug is a screw in, but I think it may have seen better days. I just wonder with a clay pipe is it better to use a metal plug or plastic plug? I plan on purchasing a new plug but wanted to be sure which is the better product. The metal plug the plumber replaced the plastic plug with looked somewhat worn, as I recall he was able to screw it in, but also used the hammer and hit it a few times, it may not have been securely fastened to the pipe. If the issue is not with the plug, I will inquire to see what will be the cost to replace/reline the pipes.

T
    SpaParts Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2014, 05:46 AM
    Getting the tank pumped out at regular intervals keeps it working properly and prevents clogs that can cause sewage to back up into the house and create disgusting odors.

Apr 17, 2014, 03:07 PM
    Hi SpaParts,

Thanks for your input, but it's not a septic tank. I wish I could get to the bottom of what caused this, other than the occasional clogged toilet, I've never had any issues with the plumbing.

T
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 17, 2014, 06:43 PM
    Tree roots grow slowly but once inside a pipe they will suck up all that sewage and grow like crazing. That's likely your clog but not necessarily your odor. Do any drains or toilets gurgle or bubble?

Apr 21, 2014, 12:58 PM
    The only time I had gurgling with the toilet is when I had the clog. Based on what I can see, the toilets and drains(sinks, showers) appear to be working without any gurgling. I just wonder if I need to add any water to floor cleanout? I'm just perplexed with this odor seeping in and on occasion can smell it in one of the rooms upstairs (over the basement cleanout.) Prior to the snaking I had no problems with odor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad odor, sewage odor after I use washer, It also causes the toilet to gurgle [ 1 Answers ]

Bad sewage odor after I use washer, It also causes the toilet to gurgle, both on the main level

Strong odor coming from heating vent - after duct replacement for previous odor. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a strong odor coming from one of my heating vents. This occurred for the first time (in the 5 years I've lived here) last year (in mid-February, as opposed to late January - coincidental?). At that time, I had a heating duct replaced. The old duct was wet inside, and the HVAC tech said...

Where is the cleanout? [ 7 Answers ]

My kid bought a 1958 ranch on a slab in Framingham, MA. Now the main drain seems clogged, with whatever goes down coming up in the tub drain which is the lowest drain. So I look for an indoor cleanout everywhere I can imagine but find nothing. Then he digs about 36" from the foundation in line with...

Looking for the Cleanout [ 3 Answers ]

Jenniferb209 has asked a public question in Plumbing Question Title : finding a cleanout to snake Question Details: I seem to have a clog in the main line, as I have both plunged And used drain opener without success. My tub drains extremely slow, and if There is any water in the tub, the...

How to add a 2 way cleanout [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add a two way cleanout to a 3 inch( steel/cast ?)iron waste line, I think it is called no hub pipe. It will be buried 30 inches +/_ deep near a tree on my lawn ,and the riser terminating about 6 inches below the lawn.. What type of a cleanout do I need? The only type that is readily...

View more questions Search