Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshiuday Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2014, 08:50 PM
    Taxation of Foreign Currency CDs
    Hi

With any foreign currency CDs there are two kinds of gains/losses, the interest earned and gain/loss due to fluctuation in currency conversion rate. I have done some research on tax reporting of these gains/losses and I want to confirm that my understanding is correct.

Let's say I am a resident for tax purposes in US and I don't need to file tax return or pay taxes in any other country.

1. Let's say I wire US$1000 to my bank account in Singapore and buy a 2 year CD in the local currency with reinvestment of interest. For simplicity let's assume that I opened the CD on 1st Jan.

2. At the end of first year my deposit has accrued an interest equivalent of US$100. Even though the interest is reinvested in CD I report $100 as interest income on my US tax return and pay tax on it.

3. During the 2nd year I earn another $100 in interest and I report it as such on my US tax return. At the end of 2nd year the CD matures but I let the money sit in my account.

4. Couple of months later I transfer all the money sitting in my Singapore a/c back to US. As per the latest conversion rate I get back only US$1000. The currency fluctuation essentially eroded all my interest income. The cost basis of my investment at that point is US$1200. So at the end of the year when I file my US tax return I can claim $200 as capital loss.

Is this correct?

If yes, how exactly do I claim this capital loss? Where do I enter this amount?
    What kind of information I need to provide IRS and what kind of documentation I need to retain?

Thanks
    Josh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2014, 08:55 PM
    You have it correct. You would report the capital loss on Schedule D and Form 8949.
    joshiuday Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 01:18 AM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert

Thank a lot for answering my question. I have seen your other posts in this forum. I respect your knowledge and willingness to help others.

I was doing some further research on this topic and came across following Q&A in intuit Turbotax forum: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/23...y-depreciation

This one is saying that all gains/losses related to foreign currency should be treated as ordinary gains/losses and not as capital gains/losses. Can you please comment on this?

Thanks
    Josh
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jul 5, 2014, 03:06 AM
    The currency loss should be an ordinary loss and should be reported on line 21 of form 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign currency [ 0 Answers ]

A

Foreign currency [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get a small amount of Italian currency for a gift in Denver,CO

Foreign Bank CDs [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have seen the CD rates for Millennium Bank is 7.5% for one year. Needless to say I am interested since we can not find this rate anywhere in the U.S. Has anyone out there experienced dealings with this bank? Many Thanks Jaxmidway

Foreign Currency [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone happen to know what 24,71 € is in US money? I want to order something online but, I don't understand if it doesn't read in $ thank you. :)

View more questions Search