Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolp1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2014, 10:50 AM
    Hard wired smoke detector disconnected, breaker turned off still chirping.
    I have a hard wired smoke detector with no battery backup that started chirping. I turned off the breaker and it stopped for a while but now still chirps about every 60 seconds. We installed a new detector, still chirps. We removed the new detector, still chirps. Any ideas?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 01:03 PM
    Either you have a serious situation in your home or there has to be a battery someplace in this problem.

With the breaker in the OFF position, can you take a voltage reading at the alarm's outlet box?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 03:38 PM
    Look again. Never saw a hard wired detector that didn't have a battery back up. In addition to the 9 volt back up battery there is an additional internal rechargeable battery that sounds the alarm when the 9 volt battery is discharged.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 13, 2014, 05:27 AM
    This may help.

How to Stop a Hard-Wired Smoke Alarm From Chirping | eHow

My Smoke Detector Does Not Have Battery Backup & Is Chirping | eHow

I clean mine twice a year, you wouldn't believe the dust build up. I also bought two newer battery ones to supplement the hard wired one since power outages are common in my area.

You may well indeed have an electrical issue that needs addressing by a professional electrician as I have learned when the detectors went out and the problem was traced to a faulty device on the same circuit (door bell transformer). Don't hesitate to be willing to look deeper and consult at least with a more knowledgeable professional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My smoke alarm is hard wired and disconnected and chirping [ 3 Answers ]

I have two hard wired detectors in my home. I have had chirping for two months. First I took the head off and took the battery out. Then I disconnected the black and white wires and recapped the live ends. It still chirps. So then I went and flipped the circuit breaker to the two rooms and the...

I have disconnected my hard wired smoke alarms but still a chirp in my house. [ 12 Answers ]

I have three EI 100R3N smoke detectors, a chirp has been happening for about 2 month. Reading info on the smoke alarms all advice pointed towards changing back up batteries. In all 3 detectors - no back up battery. So I disconnected all 3 entirely from the ceiling. They are now nowhere near the...

Hard wired smoke detector [ 2 Answers ]

I have a unfinished basement. I need to move a hard wired smoke detector to a different location. What will happen when I cut power to the entire house? Will all detectors start chirping?

Removal of hard wired smoke detector [ 2 Answers ]

I need to remove a hard wired smoke detector and want to know how to do it.

Hard Wired Smoke detector [ 7 Answers ]

My house has four smoke detectors, all of them hard-wired with back up batteries. I needed to replace one and the replacement seemed very easy. I had turned off the AC power, installed the new smoke detector, but when I turned the power off, all four detectors went off and wouldn't shut off at...

View more questions Search