Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2014, 07:35 AM
    Real estate income and other income confusion
    Hi,

I had real estate rental income from my foreign apartment (approx $3700). Overall it was net loss due to mortgage payments ($ -2200). I had entered this information in Tax Act (Schedule E) and it entered the amount in Rental Real Estate... Line 17 of Form 1040.

However, TaxAct also added an amount more than my rental income in Other Income Line 21 also ($3900) and marked it as rental income from property. This increased my total tax. This did not sound correct to me. Can you clarify if there should be an entry in Line 21 or is it a TaxAct bug?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 09:39 AM
    Sounds like a TaxAct bug, but I use the professional version of TaxAct and have had NO problems.

Apr 12, 2014, 10:57 AM
    Thanks for your response. I use Deluxe version of TaxAct. I have sent an email to TaxAct. I will keep the forum posted when they respond.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 11:03 AM
    Sounds like a plan!

Apr 13, 2014, 08:30 AM
    TaxAct said that Income from rental property entry in Other Income form is NOT a computed field but a user entered one. So they told that I must have wrongly entered and advised me to make it 0. As an exercise, I removed my schedule E and also the entry in Other Income form and re-entered the rental details. TaxAct did NOT add the entry in Line 21.

Since I was preparing this return across multiple weeks starting in Feb, I don't recall if I entered it there. Anyway, the issue is solved.

Thanks for your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2014, 02:30 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer reimbursed real estate fees and put it under my income [ 2 Answers ]

As part of my relocation package, my employer shall reimburse closing costs and 6% brokers fee for the sale of my home. The fees were reimbursed & counted towards my income so tax was deducted automatically. The income they paid me was used to pay the broker fees. Can I deduct this from my income?

Income tax return on Sale of Real Estate in Trust [ 1 Answers ]

House left to myself and 2 brothers. House was in trust (if that matters). House just sold at a loss. I am the executrix. I do know that I need to file a tax return on the estate. My question though is the money received from the sale is being split 3 ways. Do each of us need to add what we...

Only Made $421.71 from Real Estate income but NY State Taxes say I Pay $211.62? [ 2 Answers ]

I was filling out my New York state tax return, and I think I made a mistake on line 45 of form IT-203. I am a non-resident trying to pay taxes for 2010, but when I enter the numbers something is weird. My NY state amount is 421.71 / Federal amount is 32032.11 = .0132 After taking the...

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida? I have a house that I rented out, I have been told the rental income is subject to sales tax. I had rental property in California, I never paid sales tax the rental income. Can someone please confirm this for me....

View more questions Search