Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dusty613 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2014, 07:55 PM
    A friend is giving me her house how do I avoid taxes
    A friend wants to give me her house, I am homeless. How do we avoid taxes or extra expenses?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2014, 08:32 PM
    Where do you plan to get money for utilities, insurance, taxes and upkeep.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2014, 04:08 AM
    Your friend will probably have to pay gift taxes but you shouldn't have any tax liability on the transfer. One possible way to avoid them is for her to sell you the property at market value and you sign a promissory note to pay a nominal amount each year with a balloon payment at the end. Then each year, she can forgive part of the balance (I think its $14K this year). So you set the term of the loan so the balance will be fully forgiven by the time the balloon payment rolls around.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 11, 2014, 04:18 AM
    I agree with Scottgem. She can't just give you the house without a huge tax for her.
    My concern is that she has some reason for giving you the house, such as debts, that she thinks will go away. They won't. Can you tell us more about what is going on? Will she live there with you, or leave, and does she owe a mortgage or back taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 11, 2014, 05:44 AM
    Actually the friend would most likely have to file a gift tax return but wouldn't actually owe any taxes, assuming that the house is worth less than $5.34 million (the lifetime gift tax exclusion amount) and assuming that she has not previously used up any of her annual gift tax exclusions. However she should carefully consider the implications this transaction might have on her estate planning. As for other fees - there will be titling fees, and as already noted going forward you will be responsible for real estate taxes, utilities, insurance and maintenance costs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would my best guy friend avoid me? [ 2 Answers ]

We have been friends for years now and he has suddenly stopped talking to me. He won't even acknowledge me in the hallway. He has never had a girlfriend (we both think young dating is over rated) and nothing bad has happened in his life. Oh and please when you answer this, I don't want any junk...

OH-how to avoid paying the taxes for the house I purchased for my son [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home 2 years ago for my son's family. They want to sell it now and use the sale money for his next home. The house should sell for about 42K. I bought it for 14K. I only want the purchase price back so as not to have to pay taxes for money made on the sale and for them to use the...

What is the best way to transfer a house within the family to avoid additional taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt who is dying wants to give her house to her family. What is the best scenario to do to avoid paying any additional taxes?

How to avoid estimated taxes without penalty [ 3 Answers ]

I will have several changes to my tax situation when filing next year including: Status changing from Single to Married Filing Jointly Will be making individual contributions to an HSA Expect to buy a house to take advantage of $8,000 home buyer credit Worked first 6 months of year on 1099...

How to avoid taxes with an inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

With inherited real estate, what do I do so that I do not have to pay taxes.

View more questions Search