Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    van199214 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 12:22 PM
    School help for 15 year old
    I need info on how to get my 15 year old daughter in the grade she is supposed to be in.

She was a very sick child when she was in elementary school, so the school thought it was best to hold her back a year, plus she started kindergarten at age 6. She's been getting excellent grades and attendance awards for years now, but she's 15 and only in 7th grade. Her lowest grade in algebra has been a B, all A's everyother subject. We have asked several education people in our town that she wants to be with her age group, which is high school not middle school, but they all saying they can't do that. Why can't they? I don't understand this. A smart devoted teenager who wants to succeed in her education and they tell us no. So she's been doing in home schooling but she's missing out on socializing with other kids and sports, dances. Just isn't right in my eyes.

I really could use some good advice if anyone could help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2014, 05:31 AM
    She is in the grade she belongs, age has nothing to do with it.

She is only back one grade, not two, since you look at when she started kindergarten, not when you could have put her in.

The trouble now, is high school, requires a certain number of credit hours to pass, you can not just move ahead. Also a school has to allow it, and have a program for it.

Normally it involves taking the year end test for the grade you want to move past. And showing you have all the knowledge of someone taking that class.

So has she already done and know how to do 8th grade work. Could she pass 8th grade tests now ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2014, 05:36 AM
    .. And even if she could pass the ALL the tests as Fr_Chuck described... very few school districts in the country would allow it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 8, 2014, 06:54 AM
    I have to agree with the others as testing would bolster your case better than what you have given, her age, and the fact she is doing well, but what does homeschooling do to help your case? I have to put the actual education level before the social considerations of being with her friends socially in this case.

What state do you live in as they all have different policies for placement. Even the local school district may have their own policy, and knowing the state and local rules that apply to you specifically would help. I know of none that allows skipping grades on the parents or students wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copy Of High School DipLoma Stranahan High School -Year 1972 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Darrall Lucas. I graduated from Stranahan high Schol in the year 1972. Is there any way I could get a copy of my diploma? Thank-You!

My daughter signed a year lease and I co signed for the school year in Maine. [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter signed a 1 year lease in Maine for the school year and I cosigned. We now have found out that although she passed everything that her GPA is too low for financial aid and she is on probation for a year. Meaning no funding for school. She will now live at home and take a class or two...

My daughter started school a year late so the school skipped K [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter started school a year late so the school skipped K . The school put her in 1st grade not ready. My daughter comes home with big fat "Fs" on all of her work. She Cries every day when its time for school. I told the school to put her back in K but they said no. My daughter has...

My twelve year old is getting behind in school, what can I do? [ 2 Answers ]

My son was doing really good in school up to fourth grade, for some reason he lost interest in school and now that he is in seventh grade, his grades are very low and lost interest in school. I tried grounding him and it did not work, I talked to him and it did not work, and I do not know what else...

The New School Year [ 2 Answers ]

I was to late to apply for out of zone registering, and the middle school I am zoned for is not fit for me and is a low graded school, and the school that I am NOT zoned for is 10 minutes away and is a good school that fits my needs, the thing is it won't accept my moms request for me to go. So...

View more questions Search