Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srapp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 05:23 AM
    One of my dogs just died, and the other one keeps peeing and pooping in the house.
    We recently had to put one of our dogs down and our other dog is not handling it to well. At first he seemed to be little depressed which is understandable being the dog that died was like his mother. They were the best of friends and loved each other very much. But now he has started peeing and pooping inside the house both when we are home and when we are gone. When we put him outside in his kennel he just continues to cry. I’m not really sure what to do? Should we get another puppy so he can have a companion? Or what do you suggest? We recently had to put one of our dogs down and our other dog is not handling it to well. At first he seemed to be little depressed which is understandable being the dog that died was like his mother. They were the best of friends and loved each other very much. But now he has started peeing and pooping inside the house both when we are home and when we are gone. When we put him outside in his kennel he just continues to cry. I’m not really sure what to do? Should we get another puppy so he can have a companion? Or what do you suggest?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 06:10 AM
    Do you walk your dog? You may see a difference if you take the dog on a leash for walks. I'm sorry about the loss of your dog. Don't forget to rule out any health issues in your current dog, too.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 06:06 PM
    Dogs do not always handle change well. Just like humans, they grieve when someone they care about passes away.

Like TJ said, it's best to first rule out a medical issue such as a bladder infection. If he has a clean bill of health, the best thing to do is re-train him to potty outdoors, using positive reinforcement.

Is he an outdoor dog? Is that why he's kenneled outdoors? I wouldn't separate him from the family at this time by placing him in a kennel outside. That will only make his depression even worse.

Good luck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 06:57 PM
    We most frequently have 2 or more dogs and never let the pack get down to one. Dogs are pack animals and once they have lived as part of a pack that's what they need. If you have the room, money and time for a new dog I'd get one. Not necessary to get a puppy either. Take you dog to a poind and see who he gets along with and one you would like. All this after you folow tj's advice about ruling out med issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppies peeing and pooping the house [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I have two dogs who have both been potty trained for years. One of them recently sliced her pad on her paw open and has to plastic around her bandage when going outside. She has been refusing to go potty when out there. This morning, there was a lovely present of poop and a lake of...

Dog peeing and pooping in the house [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old border collie min pin mix. He has been peeing and pooping in the house recently (in the same general area) and I am not sure how to get it to stop. He has done it off an on for years: he will go weeks without doing it and then suddenly start again. This time it doesn't seem like...

Dogs peeing and pooping in the house [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old border collie and a 6 years old border collie mix, both shelter dogs, both fixed, both potty trained. Suddenly they both decided to start peeing and pooping in the house. They do it when I'm gone to work, when I'm asleep, when I'm in the shower, pretty much anytime I'm not in...

Dog died and other dog is peeing and pooping inside house now [ 6 Answers ]

We currently lost one of our dogs quite sudden, she was a 11 year sheppard/lab. We also have a yorki/pom/poo who is only 2 1/2 years old. Since our old dog died, our other dog has reverted back to peeing and pooping in the house. When our other dog was alive they went outside together and this...

View more questions Search