Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuch4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2014, 05:36 PM
    Tooth extraction
    I had a single top wisdom tooth pulled a few days back, how long does the wound usually need to heal before I'm pretty much in the clear of dry socket? How does the healing process work? Do the gums just close up near the jaw bone first and then as it closes further down the clot is pushed out and dissolved?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 5, 2014, 05:58 PM
    It really varies a lot by the person, from their health, age, and how they tend to their mouth after the extraction. Tend to it all day for a week at least, and you should see nice solid pink instead of soft red, and the clot should fall out, and you still keep it clean for a while.
    That's not just vigorous swishing with salt water. Also brush your gum gently with a soft new brush. That really helps form new gum faster.

The nerves down your jaw may hurt longer than it takes the gum to heal, they may not.

Apr 6, 2014, 01:19 AM
    Yeah I've made sure to follow the dentists instructions to the best of my ability, the only thing that may have hurt it was the shift I had to work the day after getting it pulled. I work at a grocery store and I was told too much physical work right after getting a tooth pulled may inhibit healing, Other than that, I'm gently cleaning the wound with wet gauze, doing those gross salt water rinses, and avoiding all foods that may irritate the clot.

Well hey, thanks for the info, hopefully the hole closes up pretty soon, it's already about 1/3 the size it was when I had it pulled Thursday morning.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2014, 01:29 AM
    You should not be brushing around the extraction area at all, the swishing action is enough to clean. I have never heard of strenuous work dislodging a clot from Extraction.

Apr 6, 2014, 02:30 AM
    The dentist didn't say that strenuous work would dislodge the clot, it may just slow the healing process. He also said that gently cleaning it with a soft brush or gauze is very important right after eating along with the salt water rinse because swishing may not be enough to get small bits of food that may get stuck around the wound and that those little bits can really cause problems.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 6, 2014, 05:50 AM
    tickle, I have great respect for my oral surgeon, who says to gently brush the gum. The wet gauze is just as good. I do think it's a somewhat 'new' instruction.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2014, 10:22 AM
    Dentist have different views about aftercare of extraction sites. Don't brush but clean gently with gauze. I wouldn't give advice if I didn't have experience with tooth extraction working for dentists. No, using gauze isn't recently new, I was told that after having a wisdom tooth out 50 years ago.

There is never any need to worry about food lodging in the site while healing as long as the sluesing with salt water is being done and the gauze wiping. No chewing of solid food is to be done on that side anyway, secondly, you,will find that food particles are normally rejected by the healing process. Any time you take a drink of water, one intake should be dedicated to gently moving the water around the mouth, swallow or spit out, whichever is convenient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth extraction [ 8 Answers ]

I had a tooth removed 5 days ago an am scared that am going to get dry socket the clot is still there but it's a yellow colour is that normal? There is also a bit of bone at the back is that normal? I don't have pain but I am a smoker and worried

Tooth Extraction [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My middle molar (used for chewing) broke of from the side, and I went to see the dentist who informed me that the tooth was dead and under the gum infected, so I have to take the tooth out inorder to prevent the infection from spreading to the other molar (the last one at the back). But my...

Tooth extraction [ 3 Answers ]

A little over three years ago when I was prgnant with my daughter one of my fillings came out and I never had it fixed, over the past two months it has got much worse and now I can't bear the pain, I made a trip to the dentist today to see if they could pull it and he said that the x ray showed a...

Extraction of tooth [ 5 Answers ]

I am told that my tooth is 70% bad but it is strong. Is it necessary to extract now or I can wait till tooth is little bit loose or shakey? Please answer

Tooth Extraction in a 3 Yr Old [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my son's front tooth is kind of loosen (or least when I wiggle it). He does not complain of any pain, but the tooth is getting darker (like a brownish color). We have an Dentist Appt. already made, but my concern is will the Dentist want to extract the tooth?

View more questions Search