Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mohan108 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2014, 11:17 AM
    Tax and FBAR on foreign Life insurance policy premium
    If one is paying premiums in foreign currency on a life insurance policy held in his name in a foreign country where the policy has not matured and the insurance company is foreign, does he have to report anything on IRS tax returns or file FBAR?

Since the policy has not matured or canceled, the income received is nil.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2014, 12:24 PM
    You have to list the life insurance policy's CASH VALUE on the FinCen Form 1114.

Cash value is what you wold get if you turned the policy back to the company and cancelled it.

Apr 7, 2014, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You have to list the life insurance policy's CASH VALUE on the FinCen Form 1114.

Cash value is what you wold get if you turned the policy back to the company and cancelled it.
    Thank You ! If the Cash value (surrender value) is significantly lower than total premiums paid so far, do we still have to report it? If the premium is paid in Nov 2013, then do we report the surrender value 'after' premium was paid for that year (which is Dec 2013) or 'before' premium was paid (like Oct 2013).

Also, only FBAR is required and we don't need to file tax returns, right?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 01:05 PM
    Correct; report NOTHING about the life insurance on the tax return.

Report the cahs value at its HIGHEST POINT in the calendar year.

Apr 13, 2014, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Correct; report NOTHING about the life insurance on the tax return.

Report the cahs value at its HIGHEST POINT in the calendar year.
    Thanks. Just to confirm. I do not have to report it on Form 8938, either, right? Just on FinCen 114?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2014, 06:34 PM
    I am not sure, but I do not think cash value life insurance is reported on Form 8938, just on the FBAR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium o [ 1 Answers ]

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium of $25,000. The agency billed the client for the policy and is entitled to a commission of 20%. How do I do an adjusting journal entry for this question? Will it have two parts to it?

FBAR and LIfe Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I live abroad and every year I pay about 500 as my life insurance premium so that if I were to dies my family would get 100000 as long as I've paid premium for the year. However, if I were to stop paying the premium from next year I won't get anything back. Do I need to declare this in FBAR?

Foreign Pension - FBAR & US Tax Return? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a permanent resident in the US for the past two years when I came over here from my home country. I found out I have a pension from my employment back in my home country which stopped when I left that employment before coming to the US. It is an employer group scheme and employer...

Tax payable in usa against life insurance policy matured in india and pf amount rece [ 3 Answers ]

I am filing my tax retruns as us resident waiting for my green card, my lic life insurance policies matured in india recently and i also received pf amount from my previuos company . They are not taxable in india. Do i pay tax in usa on this .the policies matured after 20 years out of which 18...

Life Insurance Policy [ 2 Answers ]

I leave in California and my sister has stage 4 lung cancer and wants to leave me her life insurance policy for money she owes me but she also owes money to many credit card companies (much more than what the policy is worth). I am I responsible for taking that money and paying her credit debt...

View more questions Search