Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leoeale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Present Perfect or Simple Past in the case below
    I have a question: I've learned that one of the differences between the present perfect and the simple past is expressed in the following examples:
    I've spent $20 today. (I can still spend money.)
    I went to the shops today. (But the shops are now closed... )

But if I want to say that I won't study today because I've already studied too much.
    I would say:
    I already studied too much/enough today OR
    I've already studied too much/enough today.
    OR IT DEPENDS

I think you will probably say that the second sentence is correct(because The Present Perfect is being used with the word ALREADY), but WHY it is correct if THE PERSON WON'T STUDY ANYMORE TODAY? If he used the expression TOO MUCH, he won't study today anymore. He wants to let clear that he already studied enough, so the time should be considered finished, don't you agree? It shouldn't have the same rule as the two examples you gave above? Or the word ALREADY changes the explanation, even without convincing me? One more thing: Is there any difference in your answer if I changed TODAY for YESTERDAY, since I think TOO MUCH or ENOUGH implies that I can't study anymore today, even though the day hasn't finished. I mean that I won't study for the words TOO MUCH and ENOUGH imply that I'm full of studying today or that I am too tired.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ale
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Apr 3, 2007, 06:51 PM
    I would say that:

I have already studied too much today.
    Here's my reasoning:

Although you say you have already done all the studying you are going to do, that doesn't mean that you CAN NO LONGER STUDY, because you still have the ability to study. The first option,
    I already studied too much today
    indeed implies that you have done all the studying you will do, but you will NOT have the ability to study again because, say, you are going to a party and you will not bringing your books along.

I hope that helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My past is ruining my present. [ 19 Answers ]

I have been with my husband for about a year now but only married for a few weeks. He has always been insecure about my past…It's not pretty and I am not proud. I have my skeletons but I have always been honest and I want nothing more than his trust. He has always dug and always questioned, it...

The perfect... [ 19 Answers ]

Handjob. Seriously, need advice on techniques, because it is harder than it looks! Any tips to make him crazy?

Perfect Pegasus [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of the Perfect Pegasus argument for proving the existence of God? When I took an introductory philosophy class in university, my professor used this argument and attributed it to a particular philosopher. I'd like to read about it again, but it's several years since I took the...

It was perfect until... [ 12 Answers ]

The other night I went out with my boyfriend, his little brother and his mum. We all went to a family get together, my boyfriend drunk a lot and was fairly drunk by the end of the night. We all went back to his mums, where I looked after him, cleaned up his sick, comforted him, hugged him, bathed...

Looking for the Perfect Handcream [ 7 Answers ]

Hello All, I am on a quest to find the perfect handcream. Anybody have a favorite that they might share the name? I cannot stand dry hands and have tubes all over the place. Thank you.

View more questions Search