Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worriedgrandma6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2014, 09:01 AM
    2 year old sees monsters, dinosaurs in room.
    First there were banging on wall in adjacent bedroom of my grandson when no one is there and all the rest asleep. Then a clean kitchen at night was found strewn with refrigerator contents in the morning. Now my 2 1/2 year old says there is a blue dinosaur in his room and mommy has a black monster in her room. He isn't allowed to see adult TV so no chance of horror show residue.

Last night after he was asleep 30 min, we were in kitchen far from his room, quietly making hot tea when we (2 adults) clearly heard a growl. Running down hallway towards his room we listened at door. (we run a fan in his room to block out any outside noise) hearing nothing, we slowly opened his door and looked over edge of his crib. He was facing up, eyes closed. As we looked at him his eyes opened wide and he said, "I didn't make that noise, mommy!" We've already had out home blessed 2 times by our minister previously. HELP!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 09:10 AM
    Is it possible the child was rocking his crib and banging it against the wall? Can he exit his crib and go to the kitchen? And that he did indeed make the growling noise? I'd calm down and get some "monster spray." Two-and-a half-year olds can be devious little critters (have had two of them myself) -- will feed on your upsets and do what they can to encourage fun, family turmoil.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 11:08 AM
    I do so agree with WG. Better get the monster spray for his room and mom's. You do know what we mean. A can of air Freshner and make up your own reason for the spray.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 4, 2014, 04:14 AM
    Having your house blessed for typical toddler behavior suggests that you are not handling this well. Yes, it's normal for them to 'see' monsters and animals and to have imaginary friends. Why isn't his mother dealing with this? And you don't need a fan outside his door, for pity's sake. Does he have a night light and a favorite stuffed animal to sleep with? Do you read to him?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2014, 05:13 AM
    Small children have overactive imaginations... its normal for them... whats not normal is for adults to be seeing or hearing "monsters"...

THe "monster Spray" is to put their minds at ease... your's shouldn't need to be.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 4, 2014, 06:13 AM
    I understand using white noise to mask sounds from the rest of the house. However, the fan may be a temptation to play and, unless his room is hot and the circulating air is needed, it may be causing distractions. They make white noise machines if you truly think such as measure is necessary. For adults, a radio tuned to static would work, but I think you have a toddler expanding his horizon. Fans and other devices may be too much of a temptation.

Fans can make a wonderful growling noise if the air flow is blocked or if something touches the blades.

They make child resistant latches for refrigerators and cabinets. You might want to look into them if you haven't already.

Suzanne Vega wrote a wonderful song titled Night Vision. It is about how ordinary objects look very different in the dark when shadows blend and play tricks on perception. Even adults can fooled by tricks of light and shadows. Add in wind out side windows moving branches, cars going by, people walking, nocturnal animals going about their business and 'monsters' can seem to appear out of thin air.

He doesn't have to watch adult programs to see 'monsters'. Children's books and shows are full of friendly looking creatures that can inspire creative thinking. He also hears adults talking about monsters, ghosts, spirits, etc. So he learns what gets attention.

"Monster Repellant" is a good idea. But use something with a very light scent. You don't want the smell to keep him awake. Lavender helps many people relax and sleep, but use what works for you.

He is at an age where you can allow him to have a stuffed animal and/or a special blanket to sleep with. It may be time to put him in a bed instead of a crib.

Joy is correct that he will react the way the adults in his life do. He looks for guidance in how to handle issues from his mother and you. Children have a way of hearing and seeing things even when adults think they can't.

If you truly think the child cannot be responsible or any of the mess and sounds, do you have raccoons in your area?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Movie title of boy & girl who are in love & in heaven waiting to be born [ 1 Answers ]

I seem to remember this movie starts with kids running around playing when a certain boy & girl are singled out. Some how lead to know that they are in love boyfriend/girlfriend. Then a man/angel comes in & calls the boy to let him know it is his turn to be born to parents on earth. So we figure...

How do I match ohms & amp; watts with a bass amp head and amp; speakers? [ 0 Answers ]

I need to shop for new speaker(s) to use with an amp head that I have and want to know what to look for in specs of watts and ohms so that I don't blow up or fry anything. My head's specs say "120 VAC, 60 Hz, 600 Watts" and under the Biamp (Low/A, High/B) Speaker Output jacks it says "4 Ohm Min....

Can a 150 amp meter panal handel a 100 amp, 40 amp, 30 amp and 30 amp brakers. [ 2 Answers ]

My meter panal is a 150amp panal. I have a 60 amp sub panal coming off it a 30amp to my stove a 30 to dryer and a 40 to the a/c. i want to upgrade the 60 amp sub panal to a 100 amp panal. Will the 150 amp meter panal handel it or do i need to have a 200 amp meter panal installed

View more questions Search