Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdholakia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Spouse and Child as Dependant- Even they never came to US
    Hi,
    I have a specific query related with dependents.
    1) I arrived in US on 5th Aug 2006. By that means I am a non resident alien. Is this correct?
    2) My wife and daughter are in my native country(INDIA) and will join me in May 2007. They never came to US ever. So my specific query is whether can I claim them as my dependents for year 2006 as they have no other means of earning in India? To be precise they have Visa since Aug 2006 but not joined me yet.

Please advice. I really appreciate your prompt reply.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 12:01 PM
    If you file jointly with your wife, you CAN claim your daughter as a dependent because, when she chooses to be treated as a resident alien for ALL of 2006, the resident alien status is ALSO imposed on the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Claiming a dependent [ 1 Answers ]

When filing taxes can two individuals claim the same dependent for 6 months each, if the dependent was in the household for six months.

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

Self on H1 and spouse/child on H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came in US on 27th Jan 2006 on H1 and My spouse and kid came to US on(both on H4) 3rd Jun 2006 My spouse doesn't work in US. This is the first time I will be filing my taxes. I have a SSN no. Question 1: when applying for ITIN for spouse/child which checkbox to check :

Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I...

View more questions Search