Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _init_ Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2014, 03:03 PM
    Hearing TV frequency.
    My whole life, I have been able to hear the TV's high hissing noise it makes when it is on. For example, I can tell if the TV is on(even on mute), on the other side of the house, or even directly outside. It's extremely annoying when the cable is off and the TV is on, or if the TV is muted.
    Anyone have similar issues, or is it just me? I have asked my family, and they say they can't hear what I hear.
    I also can hear bats when they are flying above, and I've read that bats emit extremely high frequencies, above what the human ear can observe. Is that the case here?
    I'm 14, for reference
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2014, 06:51 AM
    Is your TV the type with the large tube (CRT?). The horizontal flyback transformer in these operates at a frequency just above 15 kilohertz. The audible range of human hearing is approximately 20 hertz to 20 kilohertz, but the high frequency limit starts to drop off as we age. Being 14, you could very well still hear in the 15kHz range.

If your TV is a newer, flat panel these normally use a switching power supply, which operates by switching current on/off rapidly... also roughly in the range of frequencies near the upper limit of human hearing.

Now, if you can hear bats that's amazing. Mention it at your next doctor's visit.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Apr 2, 2014, 07:18 AM
    IT is also to note that everyone's preception of the world is based off their senses. We know how most people see and interpret the world. There are, and I believe this to be your case, people who can perceive the world based upon different rules. You can hear into the higher ranges for example. There are also examples of people who can see into the IR or UV ranges. There are some people who see ghosts and they're just the radiator in their rooms.

It isn't really anything to be concerned about but you can have your doctor look at it at some point. If it is something that is really bugging you, you might want to invest in noise cancelling headphones. Can you hear a dog whistle?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2014, 07:44 AM
    I'm 53... I can still hear it too, the TV....we don't have many if any bats flapping around here to know if I can hear those too.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 2, 2014, 09:12 AM
    I have poor hearing...but I can also hear the tv noise when the volume is turned down.
    _init_ Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Apr 2, 2014, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    IT is also to note that everyone's preception of the world is based off their senses. We know how most people see and interpret the world. There are, and I believe this to be your case, people who can perceive the world based upon different rules. You can hear into the higher ranges for example. There are also examples of people who can see into the IR or UV ranges. There are some people who see ghosts and they're just the radiator in their rooms.

It isn't really anything to be concerned about but you can have your doctor look at it at some point. If it is something that is really bugging you, you might want to invest in noise cancelling headphones. Can you hear a dog whistle?
    I didn't know dogs can whistle!!
    :) Lol, jk.
    No, I've never heard a dog whistle.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2014, 10:14 AM
    Yeah... the dogs I've had , had trouble getting their lips in the right position to whistle... ( I get the joke however)... damn frustrating trying to teach them to.

I could just barely hear a dog whistle when I was younger... it was just past my range of hearing but if it was loud enough could just barely hear it...

I doubt I could now...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why uplink frequency is greater than down link frequency [ 2 Answers ]

Why uplink frequency is greater than downlink frequency?

Eviction summons hearing less than 24 hrs before hearing [ 1 Answers ]

We received an eviction summons for tomorrow at 1:00 pm. For hearing. Don't they have to give us at least 24 hrs notice for hearing. Plus, we gave the landlord money and had an agreement to pay rest of rent, and he filed on us.

Frequency [ 1 Answers ]

I had purchased 60 Hz washer in Saudi Arabia, but is not working with 50 Hzs in Pakistan.

View more questions Search