Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hatter_b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2014, 12:05 PM
    Worked as independent contractor and need to be paid.
    I worked for 8 months as an independent contractor. I haven't been paid for the last week I worked. The company I worked for lost its contract from another contract and they have had trouble getting paid from the first company. I have been waiting since Sept. Can I sue the company I had the contract with? Its not a huge amount but I incurred expenses for doing the work. They keep telling me next week. I think 7 months has been long enough. Can I take them to small claims court?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2014, 12:11 PM
    Yes. But you might be better off going to your state's Dept of Labor. I would check there first.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 31, 2014, 12:17 PM
    If your contract was for work done by you on real estate, you also might determine if you can file a mechanic's lien. If the owner is trying to sell the property, a mechanic's lien may force them to see that you are paid. Also if the company for which you worked was required to post a payment bond, you could make a claim against the bond.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 31, 2014, 07:19 PM
    Agree, mechanics lien would be best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor Not Paid [ 3 Answers ]

I worked three days as an independent contractor in los angeles for a outside door to door sales job. The boss and I had a disagreement at the end of the third day and let me go. I had a base pay of 350 plus 100 for gas allowance each week plus commission. Since I did not make sales I expected the...

The company I worked for as an independent contractor says I owe commissions [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for an insurance company for a few months. I requested that commissions be paid on closed business only. They didn't do what I requested and now they say I owe them for a commission. The reason the policy wasn't accepted by the client was because the doubled the premiums on them...

Independent Contractor not paid [ 4 Answers ]

I am an independent contractor with a contract stating that I will be paid on the 15th of every month for the previous months earned commissions. I have never been paid the correct amount or on time for any month. I am desperate to get all money owed to me which goes to the end of the year and to...

Independent Contractor not being paid! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... I worked as an independent contractor(fitness sales consultant) for a few gyms, ran by the same 3 owners. We had known each other about a year and it was my first attempt on working for myself, so there was no written contract formed, only expectations of salary, bonus structure,...

I worked as an independent contractor and received 1099 misc income. [ 3 Answers ]

I am holding an f1 visa and I worked as an independent contractor and received 1099 form. My questions are: 1. what are the taxes that I should pay? I know I'm exempt from SE taxes. How many percent of other taxes that I am going to pay? 2. can I deduct the expenses I had when workng as...

View more questions Search