Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanine_faye Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Cast Iron to PVC
    We would like to put an offer on a house built in the 50's. It has cast iron plumbing and we possibly would like to change that to PVC throughout the house before remodeling. It is on a slab and a brick home. It is 2600 sq.ft. with 3 bathrooms. Is there anyway I can get a rough estimate on what changing the plumbing would cost?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2007, 12:42 PM
    To give you, even a ballpark estimate, we would have to be on the site to make a material list. We would then have to estimate the labor involved and have knowledge of the labor force available. Union or non union plumbers will make a big difference in the bottom line. Make you a deal. You fly us up t6here and put us up in a first class hotel and we'll be glad to give you a estimate. Did I forget to mention the 5 star restaurants and after work nightclubs? Your best bet would be to get at least 3 estimates and pick the best one. Regards, Tom
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Apr 3, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I could not tell you a price, but why do you want to do this? Cast iron can last a long time. It might be better to replace some parts rather than the whole system. It is easy to spice PVC into cast iron lines where needed.

Tom can even tell you how to do it without a site visit. :-)

Apr 3, 2007, 06:39 PM
    We heard that it could cause big problems in the future from rusting, etc. We thought if we could change it before we renovated, then we would. The house needs to be almost completely redone anyway.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanine_faye
    We heard that it could cause big problems in the future from rusting, ect. We thought if we could change it before we renovated, then we would. The house needs to be almost completely redone anyway.
    You have a 2600 square foot home with three bathrooms and a kitchen plus a laundry all on a slab? Have you any idea of the cost and hassle involved in jackhammering up the slab to remove and replace the cast iron under the slab? I live in a home that was built in 1954 that has cast iron plumbing. I've never had a problem with my drainage. Don't get me wrong. I prefer plastic over cast iron any day of the week and if you plan on ripping up the slab, tearing out the walls and starting over with a shell, ( that's what they do out on our barrier island water front property that prohibits rebuilding) then I say, By all means convert to PVC. Otherwise I consider this a unnecessary expense. Just my opinion. Regards, Tom

Apr 4, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Thanks for all your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting Pvc to cast iron. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a drain galvanized pipe from my sink that goes to the basement. It is connected into a cast iron pipe at the floor level. I have two leaks in it. (50 years old) one is 6" above the cast iron pipe. It is sealed with lead. How do I replace it with PVC? Horace Oliver

Conecting pvc to cast iron [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cast iron toilet drain that is cracked at the flang down the side. It goes streight down into a 90 degree pipe with a concetion that goes to the roof for air flow. How do I replace this cast iron with pvc? Thank you

Connect pvc to cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to connect new PVC drain pipe to old Cast Iron drain pipe?

Pvc and cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove pvc threaded coupling from rusted cast iron pipe? Want to be able to reinstall new pvc coupling in cast iron pipe. Thanks in advanced.

Underground Cast iron to pvc [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a on to a bathroom in my basement. I want to put a sink a tub in. The main issue is that the sewage line under the concrete floor is cast iron. Can I connect pvc to castiron with a boot and then cover back up with dirt? Are there an issues with do it that way? Is there a better way?

View more questions Search